The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Nurse Doris Jane Procter, V.A.D.

BereniceUK

Both window and plaque are in Holy Ascension Church, Settle, Yorkshire.

DSC02943_zps380329a8.jpg

R/5864 Able Seaman Sidney James Procter, Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve. Died 3rd September 1918, aged 24.

Nurse Doris Jane Procter, Voluntary Aid Detachment. Died 17th December 1918.

IMG_1477_zps88c427fb.jpg

IMG_1479_zps156882fd.jpg

efcde82a-3a24-4a3f-8385-a1f537964469_zps

IMG_1470_zps6925c767.jpg

Great pictures, on my local patch ! attached is a pic of Doris, if you search for her on the Craven's part in the great war website there is quite a bit of info on her,

cheers,

John.

post-27136-0-48005800-1405109851_thumb.j

6a4ad04f-cbe9-4742-8270-1d6abff5147c_zps

Doris died of pneumonia in Leicester on the 17th December 1918. I am trying to find out where she is buried. The Church of the Holy Ascension, Settle seems a strong possibility. On the tablet that Berenice has photographed mention is made of a black granite slab on the left of the path when entering the churchyard being a Procter family memorial. Berenice, did you photograph it by any chance ? Does anyone have any clues ?.

Doris died of pneumonia in Leicester on the 17th December 1918. I am trying to find out where she is buried. The Church of the Holy Ascension, Settle seems a strong possibility. On the tablet that Berenice has photographed mention is made of a black granite slab on the left of the path when entering the churchyard being a Procter family memorial. Berenice, did you photograph it by any chance ? Does anyone have any clues ?.

No, sorry, I didn't. My bad for not reading the information sheet while I was still there.

There is a photo of the gravestone on 'findagrave'. It is in the cemetery at the Church of the Holy Ascencion.

Regards,

Alf McM

Jim, pic from Craven's part in the great war, Holy Ascension churchyard Settle.

post-27136-0-33199100-1405197191_thumb.j

local newspaper article,

Article Date: 27 December 1918

SETTLE - Sad Death of a V.A.D. Worker

The funeral took place on Saturday at Settle Parish Church of Miss Doris Procter, youngest daughter of Mr. James Procter, tailor, Settle, amid many signs of deepest sympathy for the bereaved parents and relatives of deceased. Miss Procter, who was only 28 years of age, volunteered for V.A.D. service on the outbreak of war, being the first to do so from Settle, and was called up in the April following, and had been serving up to the time of her death, which occurred at the Base Military Hospital, Leicester, where she had been doing duty for some time, the cause of death being pneumonia following influenza. She had only a very short time previously returned to duty, after being on leave for several weeks. The funeral was largely attended, the St. John's Ambulance, of which she was a member, following the cortege, and also the majority of the local soldiers who were on leave from France and the home camps. Many wreaths were sent, among which was one from the nurses and matron at the hospital, one from the officer's patients, and another from the staff. Much sympathy was extended to Mr. Procter and family in their sad bereavement, which is more distressing because it follows close upon the heels of a previous bereavement in the loss of a son killed in action, and which was announced in our issue of a few weeks ago.

Forum members come up trumps again. You guys (and girl) don't cease to amaze me. Alf, "doh". I should have thought of Find-A-Grave. York16 has evidenced that Doris was interred in the churchyard at Settle. I have one small niggle. The black memorial is exactly that - a memorial. Sidney's name is on it but he is buried in France. I have assumed that this is more than a memorial but marks the grave of the other four family members. But there is an outside chance that they are in single graves elsewhere in the churchyard although I would have expected the Find-A-Grave photographer to have found them if marked. The cemetery burial records would be the final arbiter on that.

The black memorial is exactly that - a memorial. Sidney's name is on it but he is buried in France. I have assumed that this is more than a memorial but marks the grave of the other four family members. But there is an outside chance that they are in single graves elsewhere in the churchyard although I would have expected the Find-A-Grave photographer to have found them if marked. The cemetery burial records would be the final arbiter on that.

That was my first thought too on seeing the memorial. I see an awful lot of cemeteries and churchyards where headstones have been lost and the graves are now unmarked. Also the dreaded kerbstone style of grave where the inscriptions are hidden under grass, soil and weeds, or just damaged and broken.