The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Do I really need to take ?

Medic7922

Your thoughts please, starting to make plans for my trip to Ypres in September and haven’t driven in France for a long time, do I really need to take Breath test kits etc while driving in France & Belgium and what do I really need to carry to stop me falling foul of the Police.

There is already a fairly long and recent thread on this. Breath tubes seem to be in abeyance at the moment whilst the French make their minds up about how the system should work but fluorescent jackets for self and passengers in side the car and visible are a requirement

There is already a fairly long and recent thread on this. Breath tubes seem to be in abeyance at the moment whilst the French make their minds up about how the system should work but fluorescent jackets for self and passengers in side the car and visible are a requirement

Can someone give me the link

Ensure you have

1) Vehicle Documents M.O.T. certificate ( if applicable) , Driving licence & Insurance documents

2) High Viz Jackets must be available without getting out of the car to access them

3) Warning Triangle

4) Proof of I.D.

5) Headlamp beam deflectors ( use tape , it's cheaper than buying expensive kits)

The French breathalyzer kit law was suspended indefinitely from 2013 by French Interior Minister ,Manuel Valls.

5) Headlamp beam deflectors ( use tape , it's cheaper than buying expensive kits)

But not if you have an accident after dark as just using tape can invalidate your insurance - the kits have a reflective inner surface that deflects light rather than just blocking it (and reducing the illumination that your lights produce which may be illegal (as my insurance company pointed out when I asked them)

Because we do not have ID cards, your passport. A bit of a pain and I have only ever been stopped once (at the old Franco Belgian border near Steenvoorde in the pre Schengen days) in all the years that I have been touring down there - and I had left it in the hotel. They let me proceed. I am disinclined to carry my passport in the car when travelling within one EU country (iif crossing a border I take it) but keep a photocopy of the relevant pages in the glove box.

Agreed about reflectors - best to be safe rather than sorry. However, on my headlights for one, it is far from clear where the wretched things should go!

Agreed about reflectors - best to be safe rather than sorry. However, on my headlights for one, it is far from clear where the wretched things should go!

The picture on the instructions never seems to match the car your driving.

Ensure you have

1) Vehicle Documents M.O.T. certificate ( if applicable) , Driving licence & Insurance documents

2) High Viz Jackets must be available without getting out of the car to access them

3) Warning Triangle

4) Proof of I.D.

The French breathalyzer kit law was suspended indefinitely from 2013 by French Interior Minister ,Manuel Valls.

The French law is that you must have breathalysers in the car, but if you haven't there is no penalty! Don't worry about it.

In legal terms you must have vehicle papers on you and not in the car. If the car is stolen you can be fined (will be) for not having the papers.

Having said that, in 40 years of driving in and out of France I have not been stopped since my son was 3 years old (and that was the only time). He is now 37!

The picture on the instructions never seems to match the car your driving.

Theres no point of reference on my Citroen C3 Headlamps, also carrying a set of bulbs is a joke I need an Ology in just trying to change the bloody things :wacko:

The French law is that you must have breathalysers in the car, but if you haven't there is no penalty! Don't worry about it.

In legal terms you must have vehicle papers on you and not in the car. If the car is stolen you can be fined (will be) for not having the papers.

Having said that, in 40 years of driving in and out of France I have not been stopped since my son was 3 years old (and that was the only time). He is now 37!

And have you allowed him to drive since?

• 2 weeks later...

Medic 7922

Breathalyser kits are compulsory but a little unknown fact is that you must have two of breathalysers in your posession at all times(or a single digital type). Each kit comes with two in, but if you are required to blow into one that only leaves you with a single item, and yes, if caught you will commiting an offence - best to have 2 kits (4 breathalysers).

As gillchadwick says the fines are suspended at present but not the law and the hastle factor.

Also they are very hot on satnavs that can detect speed cameras, even if the device is not in use, you've guessed prohibited and an on the spot fine of up to €1500 .

Enjoy your trip

John

Hi,

Don't worry about the breathalyser kits, no need to have any and they don't control.

My advice is just to respect the speed limits (the A 26 motorway is not an extension of the Silverstone race track)

Sly