Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Horseshoe of Woods

haworthnick

Morning all

I'm taking father walking Somme in Aug and hope to do a walk round the horseshoe of woods on the Somme, is there a recognised route for doing this or shall I just blunder along using the IGN maps.

Many thanks

Nick

Hi Nick

If you haven't already got a copy, I highly recommend getting Paul Read's Walking the Somme, which has walks (you can mix and parts parts of different walks), good/safe places to leave car, and also which paths across fields you can use without annoying farmers etc.

William

Hi Nick

It's all on the Bray Sur Somme IGN 1/25,000 map no 2408 E (apart from half of High Wood). I've done it twice by parking in Maricourt and walking to Montauban then Bernafay Wood, through Trones Wood (real name Bois de Troncs) to Delville Wood and High Wood. No problems parking nor any mad farmers. Then back via Bazentin to Montauban. Probably too much to do Mametz in the same walk. Lots of things to see.1/5 Bn Loyal North Lancs, mainly Bolton men, were in action at Guillemont on 08 and 09/08/1916 and suffered heavy casualties. You can research in the Bolton Journal dated 18/08/1916 and 25/08/1916 which show the pictures and biographies of the casualties. I have sent the reports to another forum member and can forward them on to you if you wish or I could meet you again at the library to show you.

Brian

Thanks Brian, I would appreciate another liaison at bolton library. Do you still have my number?

Yes Nick

I hope to go on Thursday morning and will bring those reports for you. I will also copy the part of the IGN map. I will send a text.

Brian

Cheers very much brian

Thank you very much brian

Nick