Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Service Number Corps of Hussars

ROD WEALE

I have a soldier, killed in September 1918 in Europe who was with the Gloucestershire Regiment in the Balkans (1915) and would appear to have served with the Corps of Hussars (26352). I have most of his history with the Gloucestershire Regt but would welcome any comments on his likely date and theatres with the Hussars. It is likely but no means certain that this was pre-war.

regards

Rod

• 2 weeks later...

Boult T 22196 With Gloucestershire and 26352 With Corps of Hussars. Thanks

• Admin

Thomas Boult 22198 Corporal 8th Bn Gloucestershire Regiment kia 06/09/1918

He did not serve overseas with the Hussars, and as you say his service may date from prewar although the number which is on SDGW makes little sense for that. See Paul Nixon's indispensable site http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2012/12/corps-of-hussars-1907-1914.html

The only Battalion of the Gloucestershire Regiment that went to Gallipolli was the 7th.

Ken

Hello Rod

For records purposes, all Hussar regiments, both regular and TF, were treated as parts of a single "Corps of Hussars". The known connection with Gloucestershire suggests, but does not prove, that he was in the Royal Gloucestershire Hussars before the war.

Ron

• Admin

Unfortunately he was born and enlisted in Surrey, I date his Gloucester number to around June 1915 and suggest he was in a replacement draft for the 7th Gloucesters as the first casualty I can find in the 22*** series is 7th September (22382).

Incidentally although it proves nothing where NoK are shown in this group on CWGC (the initial and numerous casualties on landing on the 8th August are in the 10* & 11* series) they are from Surrey and Warwickshire.

Gallipoli date entere theatre as i've remarked before tend to be a bit awry in that sometimes they list date of embarkation, sometimes arrival in Mudros and sometimes the date landed in the 'battle' zone.

Ken

thanks to all, very helpful