The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

2/7th Kings Liverpool

spud4210

Hi all,

I'm after information on my grandfather William Bristow Murphy Reg No 266508.

I have had trouble gathering exactly which battalion he served in as there are no service records

around. I found his service number from his daughters birth certificate born April 1917.

I'm thinking he was in 2nd/7th Kings as he lived Kirkdale. I also have a photo in hospital blues

but dont know exact why, possibly gsw to leg.

Many thanks

Paul Murphy

I'm thinking he was in 2nd/7th Kings as he lived Kirkdale. I also have a photo in hospital blues

The 6 digit number is certainly a 7th Bn number but as to which 'line' in the Bn you'd probably need someone who is an expert in the Kings.

Crag

Thanks for that, William was born in Bootle 1895 and waz a sailor who survived thd sinking of t he Empress of Ireland in 1914. Must have thought it was safer to go to war! !

Paul,

266502 Pte Mc Neilly and 266521 Pte Jackson were both 2/7th King's so it is pointing towards the 2nd line battalion though there were many Kirkdale men in 1/7th as well.

My Great Uncle Ben Lang was also on The Empress of Ireland and survived the sinking.

All the best,

Paul.

He was included in a list of wounded men in the Daily Post, 14th July 1917

post-1356-0-19791200-1405001431_thumb.pn

Thanks alot guys you really know how to find info.....fantastic job.

William died in 1939 not saying too much and his children didn't talk about him, which is a shame as they've all passed except for my father.

So therefore not much can be found about him

Once again many thanks, I'm intending to get to Liverpool in 2016 as we live in Australia and catch up with a few cousins then

Paul