Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Mesopotamia

genevrac

Hello all,

I am trying to locate a soldier who died at the age of 26 on 21st April 1917, I have checked the CWGC, Soldiers who died in the Great War CD Rom and the National Archives Medal Index Roll and cannot locate any details whatsoever, even in my Clan MacRae book of soldiers in the Great War! The family are led to believe that Ewen McRae fought and died in Mesopotamia, can anyone let me know of any particular actions that took place around that time and the regiments that were involved, in particular Scottish regiments. Both him and another brother are mentioned on the family headstone at Newhills Cemetery in Aberdeenshire, so he must of existed at some point.

Thanks in advance of any responses.

Genevra Charsley

I am trying to locate a soldier who died at the age of 26 on 21st April 1917, I have checked the CWGC, Soldiers who died in the Great War CD Rom and the National Archives Medal Index Roll and cannot locate any details whatsoever, even in my Clan MacRae book of soldiers in the Great War! The family are led to believe that Ewen McRae fought and died in Mesopotamia, can anyone let me know of any particular actions that took place around that time and the regiments that were involved, in particular Scottish regiments. Both him and another brother are mentioned on the family headstone at Newhills Cemetery in Aberdeenshire, so he must of existed at some point.

Hi Genevra

I tried a search on the National Archives Medal Index Roll and came up with following (you can download the actual record on the website).

Description Medal card of Macrae, Ewen

Seaforth Highlanders S/24999 Private

Training Reserve Battalion 1/14856 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/13

My experience of researching stories of 'family traditions' is that a lot of the time they are wrong! So Ewan may have fought in Mesopotamia but not died there, but somewhere else or not at all!

Hope this helps.

Dominic

Genevra

You say that he is mentioned on the family headstone. Does that mean he is buried there? What does it say about him?

SN

The Second battle of Gaza was also at that time. Even though it was in palestine and not strictly mesopotamia it maybe worth considering.

Nick

Hi all,

Thanks for the information that you have provided so far, I have gone back to the family with the information about Ewen that is listed in the medal index cards. I am hoping that they will come back with more information.

Until I hear more from them, once again thanks for your assistance on this.

Kind regards

Genevra

Genevra wrote:

I am trying to locate a soldier who died at the age of 26 on 21st April 1917, I have checked the CWGC, Soldiers who died in the Great War CD Rom and the National Archives Medal Index Roll and cannot locate any details whatsoever, even in my Clan MacRae book of soldiers in the Great War! The family are led to believe that Ewen McRae fought and died in Mesopotamia,

Genevra: He is listed on page 102 of The Clan McRae. Not much info though:

"McRae. Ewen, 24999. Pte, 1/6th Batt. (Balintore, Fearn)."

He is listed under "Seaforth Highlanders" in the Roll of Service section, which would seem to confirm that he survived the war.

Regards. Dick

Hi Dick,

Thanks for that, yes, there is indeed a Ewen McRae listed on page 102, the only trouble is that the 1/6th Battalion followed the same footsteps as the 1/5th Battalion, but they only went to France. If I am to go on what has been said to me by the family who are enquiring, they are of the opinion that he was in Mesopotamia.

I have asked the family to double check on the family headstone that his name is mentioned on and to double check if any members have his medals - so I will wait and see if they come back with anything.

By the way, just out of interest where did you get your Clan MacRae book from? I have been reliably informed that this book is extremely rare.

Kind regards

Genevra

Genevra: It does appear to be a very hard book to find. I got mine from a UK bookdealer about two years ago and it wasn't cheap.

While I do not always believe everything that I read in Rolls of Honours, I have often found that they are much more reliable than family memories, which usually are about as reliable as a used car dealer (or what ever they are called in the UK)!

Regards. Dick

• 1 month later...