Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

21st October 1914

jemimajane

This was the day on which my grandfather - George Henry Phillips (Pte 9165 South Wales Borderers) was taken Prisoner of War. According to records, he "entered a theatre of War" only 10 days before.

He was a pre-war regular soldier from 1906 - 1913, serving in India and South Africa. He was recalled to the colours on the outbeak of the war. He never spoke much about his experiences - except to an fellow POW he met after the war (They were in different Camps, but had the same name, so they would get each others parcels!)

My grandfather survived the war, due to being a POW - had he not been, he would have sufffered the fate of so many others ( a blessing in disguise).

So, 90 years on, I always think of him on this day.

• 4 weeks later...

I am not sure if this is the right date, but didn't the Germans actually occupy Ypres for a day or so in the Race to the Sea? I vaguely remember reading something like this, but not sure when or where.

I think they didn't stay either because the BEF quickly kicked them out or they didn't realize how the Salient was going to develop over the next 4 years.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, that is correct. I have just read about this in the superlative Lynne Macdonald's 1914: the days of hope. Some 8000 Germans occupied the town on 7th October. But they didn't stay long, but caused a certain amount of damage including stealing the Town Hall Community fund worth 65 000 francs. By the time the race to the sea had been completed on 14th October, they had long gone and weren't there to meet the 7th Division who moved into Ypres on that date.