Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench whistle identification

Guest Marv1974

Guest Marv1974

I have a whistle which I bought from the Devilles Wood museum in july 1999. It's a J hudson & co dated 1916 it does have a broad arrow stamp which is on the ring and is pointing down also 2 arrows stamped on the ring pointing at each other. Any help identifying if this was a genuine british army whistle or a whistle taken off the police and given out to service men. I know that as I bought this whistle from the Devilles Wood museum it may have come from anywhere as they did buy a job lot from a collector many years ago. Thankyou

post-112214-0-52595500-1404831325_thumb.

Yes it is a military whistle, the 2 broad arrows facing each other meant it was sold out of service. Worth 60 to 100 quid if lucky on ebay.

Guest Marv1974

Thank you, very much appreciated I have been trying to find out the meaning of the double arrow for a long time. I am not selling though as every time I look at it, it reminds me of all the battle sites and graves I visited at the time when I was working in France staying in Peronne. (Beaumont Hamel, Thiepval, The Ulster memorial and Devilles Wood to name a few).

I bought my first dated Hudson at Delville Wood as well, they had a cabinet of them on the wall, probably around the same time you picked yours up, since then it got a bit out of hand and I have more than a few.