Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Planning an August visit (2005 or 2006)

Half-pint

Hello:

I am just beginning to make plans to spend about 4-5 days in Belgium and northeastern France, either this August or the next year. Plans include touring the Ypres battlefields and making visits to cemeteries at Mericourt-L’Abbé and Thiennes.

Am most interested in long walks around Ieper. Are there tours geared specifically to walkers? Any advice, generally, for example: are there many pedestrians on those roads? do drivers look out for them?

Finally, I would be combining this trip with business in Germany and visits to family in Sussex & Surrey. The Germany trip has a fixed date at the end of July, which is why I would want to travel to Ieper either before or afterward. Are there a lot of tourists in the area at that time of year? Aside from 11th November, is there a "best" time to be in the area?

As you can see from these questions, I have no clue :P . Thanks for your patience and any suggestions.

Cheers,

Alison Causton

Alison

You'll have a great time whenever you go.

If you wade through the threads in this section, you'll probably find answers to all your questions - and answers to questions you hadn't even thought of yet.

John

Alison.

Can I suggest Paul Reed's excellent book 'Walking the Salient' as a starting point. You can either follow the walks directly or adapt them to suit your own particular interests and/or fitness level.

I would recommend that you try and incorporate 2 relatively new WW1 related sites in the your itinerary. Firstly, the German trenches at Bayernwald - near the Croonart Chapel cemetery (you have to get the access code from the tourist office in Kemmel). Secondly the Memorial Museum in the chateau at Zonnebeke which is excellent.

However, there are many other places to be recommended and, as John has suggested a search of other threads would be useful. You can also find threads on decent places to stay, eat and drink in the area as well.

Have a great trip.

Neil

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Half Pint. Generally spring or autumn are slightly more satisfactory for visiting as leaves off trees and crops harvested allowing a better view and perspective of places. Summer is not crowded as no particular tourist spots apart from WW1 sites and the amusement park on the Bellewrde ridge. Main road traffic has increased greatlyover the past decade but most sites are off b type roads and traffic is not generally aproblem for walkers or drivers just take usual sensible precautions. The book mentioned Walking the Salient is excellent and I always recommend reading Edmund Blundens Undertones of War THE SECOND HALF (BUT READ IT ALL) as he was the only truely recognised post war literary figure who served in the Salient as well as the somme. Also the battlefield explorers bible

Before Endeavours Fade by Rosie Coombes is essential reading and will guide you wherever you want to go on the western front

To John and Neil: Belated thanks for your notes ... I confess I had not seen these 'til today!

To salientguide: Your recommendations noted, and also thank you. So much to plan! But it is looking much more like a 2006 trip ... which will allow for more planning, including study and reading , for example, the book that you have suggested.

Cheers,

Alison Causton