Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Another EB9 bayonet...

trajan

A third find today was another Ersatz no. 9... This is allegedly one of the most common types of ersatz bayonets, and indeed that certainly seems to be the case over here... I now have four of these compared to a total of six of the other types, two of these being the allegedly most common EB 3, another two being the EB 47, with one EB 28, and one EB 49. As for my new EB9, well, nothing really remarkable on initial viewing except a good fraktur mark and remnants of the original green paint where the frog was.

Trajan

PS: A superfluity of EB's? Well, yes, and all are in various conditions, so I'll be screening the poorer ones out at some point - but only after completing a project I have initiated with a local archaeo-metallurgist, which is to ascertain via a spectrometer the make-up of the blades... The aim is to see to what extent the metal composition of the ersatz blades matches that in some of the regular 'arsenal' made ones. We did a trial run comparing regular Third Reich bayonet blades with the Israeli 1949 clones, with some interesting results - most obvious being the significantly lower amount of copper in the clone...

EDIT: just walked onto the balcony to realise I had forgotten I had another EB 3 out there soaking up WD 40 to release the rusted catch - which it has done nicely!...

Would you believe it! I found another EB 9 that I had! This is a really grotty and Turk-shortened one, that I gave to my oldest boy two years ago to turn-over the soil in a balcony flower box of his...