Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P 1903 regimental marked bayonet

trajan

I commented on this because you still hadn't worked it out yet, obviously a slow process. ...

As I made quite clear in the opening post, when I first looked at this mark I had no idea what it was, and Tony later kindly suggested '5RD', and I acknowledged his suggestion (posts 16/17, July, 2014)! The strike-out mark had me confused and I wondered if it was an SRD, and let the matter drop there (post 21, August 2014)... Yesterday was my first chance to look at the thing again with a better glass (some of us do have a life outside of hoarding bayonets!) , and so my post 22 yesterday, in which I indicated that it does look like '5RD' - and made a belated apology to Tony. But in my opinion it is not enough to stop at the bl**ding obvious, and so I made a check just to be certain there was no other 'obvious' explanation - hence my mention and then dismissal of the 'Renfrew and Denbighshire' possibility...

Trajan

• 2 weeks later...

Play nicely!!!

I do my best but I get a bit fed up with repeated personally directed digs as a substitute for informed or helpful comment...!!!

• 2 weeks later...

I've only just found this thread. No need to be ashamed of Bury Grammar School OTC which lost 70 former members in the Great War and is still going strong as the CCF one hundred and twenty three years after its formation as the school Cadet Corps. 19 of its former cadets landed at W Beach, Gallipoli, on 5th May 1915 as members of 1/5th (Bury Territorial) Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.

I've only just found this thread. No need to be ashamed of Bury Grammar School OTC which lost 70 former members in the Great War and is still going strong as the CCF one hundred and twenty three years after its formation as the school Cadet Corps. 19 of its former cadets landed at W Beach, Gallipoli, on 5th May 1915 as members of 1/5th (Bury Territorial) Battalion Lancashire Fusiliers.

Mark,

I agree, and your excellent information should make the Bury Grammar School OTC's marked bayonet owner even happier.

Regards,

LF

Thanks. This morning, the CCF, with its drum corps in the van, led the annual School Founder's Day parade through the streets of Bury as it has done for over a hundred years.

Mark,

I agree, and your excellent information should make the Bury Grammar School OTC's marked bayonet owner even happier.

Regards,

LF

You are both quite right, and I stand chastised... :blush: Even more so as my immediate ancestry is from Bury way... And yes, it is a piece I am proud off - one of the two P.1903's I have on open display to visitors as they enter our flat!