Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Fromelles mass grave

Mat McLachlan

Hi Terry,

Apologies if this topic has already been covered.

I've heard alot lately about the possible mass grave at Pheasant Wood at Fromelles. The general opinion seems to be that nothing official will be done (at least in the forseeable future) to verify if there is a grave there or mark the site.

What is the CWGC's standard position in cases like this? It seems odd that the CWGC would go to great lengths to respectfully re-inter individual soldiers who are found on the battlefields, but don't seem particularly interested in this site. I know it's out of the scope of the CWGC to actively search for bodies, but I wonder what the correct course of official action would be?

If the farmer who owns the land was to ever dig at that spot and find human remains, would this then change the position of the CWGC?

By the way, I know it's not just the CWGC involved in this. Representatives from the Australian government also seem fairly ambivalent about the whole thing.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Cheers,

Mat

CWGC are not the people to investigate reports such as this - not in the early stages.

Finds of remains must be reported to the local police who have to determine the cause of death, any foul play etc. If the remains are identified as Commonwealth war dead, then CWGC will be informed and become involved. Their job starts with any attempt at identification with MoD and the burial but until that time the local authorities are in charge.

Naturally, if remains are found which could come under their remit in due course, CWGC will keep an eye on the situation. I believe this mass grave story is an old one and CWGC say there is no definite evidence of its existence - just rumour. However, if the local authorities take the reports seriously (which they seem not to at the moment) the process will start up in the normal way.

Thanks Terry. That certainly makes sense.

It seems that the location of the supposed grave is well known, so it wouldn't be too difficult for the local authorities to verify.

Maybe one day...

Mat