Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

3rd Rifle Brigade, Gas Attack at Wulverghem, June 1916

Tom Morgan

Does anyone have a map which shows the positions occupied by 3rd Bn., the Rifle Brigade during the German gas attack at Wulverghem? I'm researching a member of the Bn. killied in action on 17th June, 1916. I'd be very grateful for any guidance on locating the Battalion's position, or any further information on the events of the day. My own library isn't giving me much help at all!

Best wishes -

Tom

There is a map and general account in the British Official History 1916 Vol.I by Edmonds. Beyond that you may have to refer to the battalion, brigade and divisional war diaries at Kew. There is some account of events from 72nd Brigade's and the Germans' perspectives in 'The Journey's End Battalion' by Michael Lucas

Michael

Thanks for the tip, Michael. Time is of the essence, though, as a client has asked, with two days to go, to visit this soldier's grave. This is no problem, but I was hoping to show her where the soldier was when he was killed.

What quick research I have been able to do tells me that 17th June might be a bit early for the famous gas attack.

Tom

There was a German gas attack on 17 June at Wulverghem,following an earlier one at the end of April. The Germans were put off attacking with infantry ,as they had intended,by the vigour of the British fire and the gas blew back over German lines. All the same,24th Division's casualties were 'not insignificant.' 3rd R.B. was indeed in 17th Brigade,24th Division. That brigade was opposite La Petite Douve Farm during the April attack, and quite possibly in the same location in June.

Michael

Can't help with a map but the 1st North Staffords were also at Wulverghem and the gas attack of 17 June is described in their Battalion history. If it is of interest, please let me know and I will scan the relevant page and post it here tomorrow?

C

Thanks again, Mike and Michael. Mike, I'll buy a download of the diary when I'm in Belgium. Michael, thanks for confirming the date.

woollamc - only if you have time. I'd be interested to see it and thanks for offering.

Thanks again all.

Tom