Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Great War commemorated by the Tour de France

Nepper

Among the caravan that proceeds the TdF are a number of cars and vans like this one. Each commemorating a different battlefield in the Nord-Pas de Calais department. Only got a picture of this one for Arras.

Nigel

post-74717-0-98519900-1404580562_thumb.j

That's brilliant, well done TdF - thanks for posting.

I reckon this event rates about as interesting as watching paint dry or even golf.

Norman :w00t:

Clearly, the hundreds of thousands who turned out in Yorkshire today & the millions who will watch the stages of the race over the next three weeks, disagree with you. As well as the vans quoted in the opening post of this thread, it should be remembered that Wednesday's stage of the race starts in Ypres - another acknowledgement of this year's centenary.

Saw it today at Leyburn, where were you at ?

Mick

Skipton

I saw it at Masham and the atmosphere was brilliant. No-one could say that the end of the race was boring - poor Mark Cavendish crashing moments before the finishing point.. I've been in Leyburn for the last 10 days and it's got more and more exciting as the days have gone by. Everyone has entered into the spirit of it - whether they were cycling fans or not. Whole villages have been decorated with yellow cycles, bunting, and flags and the farmers have made cycles in the fields our of bales of hay. There are even fields enhanced by hay bales decorated as Wensleydale Cheeses. A typical friendly Yorkshire welcome.

It makes me proud to be Yorkshire.

June

Friendly Yorkshire welcome or profiteering by a few people :D

Not being to mobile, I now have to watch it on Tele but I love it and remember with fondness the last stage I watched on the Belgian Coast a few years ago.

Best free show on earth (apart from the fortune made by some for car parking and camping etc!)

It looks bad for Cav though. Some weird team selections as well.

Better check my fantasy Le Tour results - luckily I swopped Cav for Sagen pre tour :lol:

A reminder - this is not a general Tour De France topic, this is specifically about the Great War commemoration associated with it

Thanks

Alan