Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

SLI Service Number 3/7554

sajackr

Hi,

I’m looking into a chap whose Service number on his MIC is 3/7554 and unsurprisingly his service records are lost.

He joined the 1st Bn Somerset Light Infantry 03.12.14 and embarked for France 09.12.14

7554 I believe is a pre-war number, so doe’s the 3/ prefix mean:

1. He was a pre-war regular with the 3rd Battalion?
  2. He was a Territorial with the 3rd Territorial’s?
  3. Or of course I have it completely wrong?

Thanks in advance

Sajackr

He was a pre-war regular with the 3rd Battalion?

He would be a special reservist or a recalled regular to the 3rd Bn (probably the former).

Craig

Number seems to be from 1904/1906 which could suggest a time served regular in his reserve commitment - where is he on the 1911 census ?

7262 joined on 7th March 1904

7628 joined on 25th January 1905
7880 joined on 22nd January 1906

http://armyservicenumbers.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/somerset-light-infantry-1881-1914.html

Craig

Craig,

Thanks for the additional information and the link.

As for the census I'm not sure at the moment I am currently working backwards from the information I have

Cheers

Sajackr

Number seems to be from 1904/1906 which could suggest a time served regular in his reserve commitment - where is he on the 1911 census ?

Craig

Craig - he's not a time served Regular at all - your first answer was correct in that he's a "Special Reservist" easily identified by the '3/' prefix. The site you refer to deals in the main with numbers belonging to the Regular Army and all Regular Army reservists continued to use their old numbers while on the Reserve, unless opting to serve with the S.R., where they would receive a 'new' S.R. number.

Forget the dating too, as time lines for the Special Reserve differ considerably and unlike the T.F. in 1908, they continued using their old numbering system.

Considering the speed at which he's been returned to service he's probably an ex-regular(as you already mentioned), out of his 'reserve commitment', who has re-enlisted into the S.R..

Craig,

Many thanks for the reply. Time to do some digging on T.F, S.R, and Reservist I think?

R'ds

Sajackr