Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Canadian images - Is it just me?

Norrette

When viewing the image of a Canadian attestation paper, you need to zoom in to see what's written/typed.

On my kit I find when using the zoom, that the top of the paper is not visible and is inaccessible. Generally the initial assignment to a unit is handwritten in this space and is therefore, imho, one of the most important pieces of information to be found.

I'm wondering if it is a Firefox/windows issue or if everyone has the same problem? If the latter I have put a query on the feedback pages and would be grateful for any support - apparently you can vote in support.

Hi Norette,

LAC has made something of a hash of the 'new and improved' site. Much slower to download and a couple of extra unnecessary clicks. Progress eh!!

A work around

Do the seach as usual, click on the desired name in the results list

Right click on the image that appears, a list should appear

Select properties, another list should appear and it should include the url for the raw image, for example the front of Ernest Borrow's AP is

http://data2.archives.ca/cef/g pc001/253449a.gif cut and paste that into your browser

This which will give you the raw image at full magnification, you can quickly access the back of the form by changing the last characters in the url from "a.gif" to "b.gif" so you have http://data2.archives.ca/cef/g pc001/253449b.gif

Hope this helps in the short term

Al

I think Norette is talking about the versions available via Lives of the First World War. This does seem to have been raised as an issue on the support forums, Al's suggestion provides another means of seeing the same info.

Thanks David, yes that's what I am talking about. Have been away - so interesting to find out if my query on 'Lives' has been considered.