Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Navy Uniform

Compo

I have this family photo of unidentified warrior, can anyone place the uniform for me? I am not even sure it is WW1

Clues that I have are that it came from ECKERSLEY ancestor papers who were a Navy family from Southsea, the photographer is also in Southsea. They have no family army connections.

I think I see a swagger stick in the right hand, is this necessarily army?

Possibilities include;

HUMPHRIES Engineer Rear Admiral RN, also KCMG, officer Legion of Honour and, Companion ( Military Division) Order of the Bath. Died 1924.

ECKERSLEY Fleet Engineer RN, Retired 1886 with rank of Inspector of Machinery.

post-24-1098306239.jpg

Not 100% certain, (but almost) that it's a photo of a rather distinguished looking Army officer. There is a significance to the hat (but can't remember what) and the sword looks, to me, like the 1902 pattern Infantry officer's pattern and the medals on his chest are the Egypt Medal and the Khedive's Star which signify service in the Egyptian campaign somewhere between 1882 and 1891.

To me, it looks like a photo of a (possibly retired) Army officer taken in the 1902 - 1914 period.

Dave.

Thanks for your inputs.

An army man in the middle of what was a very Navy family! another puzzle.

I think I will repost in the Army Uniform section and see if it gets any further exposure there. TKS

Compo,

Have just been given the "head ups" by Roop (Drake 1066), been off the forum for a wk or so. It definitely an Army Officer, its hard to see the rank on his collar but it looks like a Victorian crown to me, so its either Lieut or Lieut Colonel, depends on the gold surround - I expect Lt Col tho judging by his age. Cannot telll the regt tho, thats out of my line!

Bryan

Compo,

Further to my previous post, forgot to mention the sleeve lace - his sleeve lace appears to be of the Field Officer pattern 1855-1902.

Bryan

Hi Compo,

No he is not a Lieut Col - if he was Lt Col the wide gold lace band would be all around the primeter of the collar - upper & lower, in this it is only on the upper part. It appears but is hard to tell, (perhaps clearer on the orriginal photo) that there might be a star beside the Crown, if this is so his rank would be Captain. It is also possible he would have three stars on each of his shoulder cords if he was indeed a Captain.

Bryan

Bryan

Looking under a loupe at the collar on the original all I can say for sure is that it appears like one lump only in the middle.

The shoulders though look to clearly have three pips especially his right shoulder so looks like Captain it is.

Much thanks for your help.

Bill