Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

can't find attestation records for David Robertson Armour

rarmour

I've tried to find the above without success. He was born in Campbelown, Argyll around 1889 and from the photo of him in uniform and his medal card he served in the RFA/RGA with numbers 2136 and 226220.

Any ideas on how to find them if they exist please.

His attestation Form would have been in his service record file which may have been destroyed during the blitz.

Hi

Check on Ancestry.

regards

Robert

I had a look on the ancestry edition in the local library yesterday and couldn't find it. Maybe they were destroyed. I also suppose it's possible he joined as a regular before the outbreak of war.

thanks for your help

• 1 month later...

You could try checking any local papers for Cambeltown. If he enlisted during the war he may be listed under day/week's record of those whom enlisted. I tried this for a relative with great success.

Was he a cabinetmaker??

There is a record for a D Armour born in Campbelown, Argyll. Age is not right and different regt. numbers but that's not unusual.

Ancestry library service records A - AR - ARM 7957 of 48273. Seems to amongst the 'Donalds' rather than 'Davids'

However, this particular batch of records were pretty well burnt and heavily damped down, the records seem all over the place and lots of sheets mixed in.

If you start at Ancestry service records A - AR - ARM 7871 of 48273 this seems to be the start of the 'Davids' which run to 7938. That's a mere 67 sheets to manually trawl through. Can't find any indexed Davids outside that range so I think if he has existing sheets they will be in there.

Ancestry library link to 7871

TEW

• Admin

If the service record was destroyed in the bombing then you are unlikely to find it elsewhere. However that doesn't mean you can't have a reasonable stab at piecing together his service from other sources such as newspapers suggested above. Also have a look at the parent site the Long Long Trail, link top left 'researching a soldier'.

Unfortunately, as defined by this earlier thread his six digit number appears to be outside the range of identifiable units, however most correspondents on the thread are still active so may be able to help http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=42191

He did not go overseas (probably with the RFA units are usually listed in descending order) until after January 1916 so unlikely he was a pre-war regular or reservist.

The numbers look like a TF enlistment but the only TF Artillery unit in Campbeltown was a battery of the 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade and as you can see from post 29 of the above post it is not in the series allocated to that unit in 1917.

Ken

I still think it'd be worth the effort to manually go through all the records from HERE.

D Armour is from Campbeltown, Argyll. He has regt. numbers 4739 & 631212 and was with 2/1st HB RFA.

Try to find him with ancestry seach function using the above data! ........He won't show up.

There are no Armours from Argyll, Argyllshire or Campbeltown found via the index and yet the link above shows there is at least one.

Otherwise, as kenf48 says a history can be put together, incidently the Donald Armour from Campbeltown above, attested with 4th Highland (Mountain) Brigade and finished up with 276 Bde.

TEW