Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Woolwich Arsenal Munition Worker pictures

Guest Pete Wood

Guest Pete Wood

I would like to draw attention to the Royal Arsenal Woolwich website (click here).

This site has some unique photos of women munitions workers and the buildings in which they worked.

The website is hosted free of charge. But it is in danger of being removed, because it doesn't get enough visitors. It would be a shame if the memories of Britain's biggest shell factory are allowed to slip away.

All you have to do to save this website is to click on the above link, and spend a few minutes looking at a few pages and some pictures which have been put together by some former Arsenal employees.

Click on the Miscellaneous section, and then you will see Munition Workers. If you click on the pictures, they get bigger.

If you like what you see, you can leave a line in their guestbook.......

Please tell others to visit this site. All they need are a few hundred visits over the next month, or so, and the website will be saved.

You will also find an address to track down the surviving records of munition workers ;)

Many thanks

Pete

Thanks for the heads up there RT. My grandmother actually worked there and it is nice to be able to find some record of the Arsenal staff preserved. I think the photographs should be compulsory viewing for aspiring HSE personel as a reality check!!

IThe website is hosted free of charge. But it is in danger of being removed, because it doesn't get enough visitors. It would be a shame if the memories of Britain's biggest shell factory are allowed to slip away.

Pete, Thank you. It's an excellent site. I have emailed them re some information about my family who I beleive worked there.

Robbie

RT,

thanks for the link.

Dad worked there from 1939 til 1942 when he joined the RAF. Used to travel from Tottenham to the Arsenal everyday, including the Blitz. Probably explains why he was a Gunners fan all his life. B)

Peter

RT,

thanks for the link.

Dad worked there from 1939 til 1942 when he joined the RAF. Used to travel from Tottenham to the Arsenal everyday, including the Blitz. Probably explains why he was a Gunners fan all his life. B)

Peter

Hi Peter,

I note that you're an Aussie also. Did your Dad emigrate after WW2?

robbie

Pete:

Thanks for the info and link to the site-very interesting!

gordon