Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

For those of you who have MGC war diaries - a look-up request...

SFayers

Hi folks,

I'm looking for a proverbial needle in a hay stack and I'd greatly appreciate the help of any forum members who may have copies of MGC war diaries for 1918.

I am trying to trace which Machine Gun Company (and later Battalion) a particular MGC officer served with after his commission at the end of 1917 - unfortunately his papers are not present at the NA and I've had no luck with the MoD (assuming he served again at a later period post-war); so I'm hoping his name is mentioned in the respective unit war diary.

For those of you who have such diaries in your collection for this time period, could you please check for the name 2nd Lieutenant (later Lieutenant) Ernest Ford? (I would expect him to have been taken on-strength around January / February 1918.) If you could also let me know which unit diaries you have checked (so I can tick them off) I'd really appreciate your help.

This chap originally served as a Private with 147 Machine Gun Company (the diary for which I have), but, perhaps not surprisingly, he did not return to this unit after his commission.

Many thanks and best regards

Steve

Edit - diaries checked so far:

5 MGC

8 MGC

18 MGC

32 MGC

54 MGC

58 MGC

101 MGC

147 MGC

167 MGC

2 MG Battalion

Thanks for the look-up johnboy - very much appreciated!

No mention in either 5 Machine Gun Company or 2 Battalion Machine Gun Corps.