Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Trench map website - National Library of Scotland

mbriscoe

Apologies if alread mentioned but this seems a recent addition to the NLS website

mbrisco.

I have not seen these before, so thank you for posting. Jim

mbrisco.

I have not seen these before, so thank you for posting. Jim

The NLS have a great range of maps online, obviously wider coverage of Scotland with full 1st and 2nd Edition 6" and 25" coverage and various others but they also have 6" coverage of England and Wales and 1:25000 coverage of England and Wales from around 1950s / 1960s. There is also a superb set of 60" (?) maps of London at the end of the 19th Century.

This is a most useful site and one I was not aware of. Thanks for posting.

It looks interesting. Would be good if I had a clue how to make it work. Obviously not enough coffee in the system yet. All I'm getting is a blue tinted map overlaid on a mainly opaque blue background. Tips/hints?

Just keep clicking bmac - And top your coffee up

Excellent Chris

I'm getting various shades of pink on pink but no maps; and I've had two cups of the finest Java. I'm sure it is going to be really useful once I've worked it out. Thanks Chris.

Pete.

Works fine for me on three different browsers. Looks like the rendering of the maps relies on Java software, so if yours is not up to date it may give problems.

Ah, how odd. I went away and left the page twiddling its thumbs and, on my return, there is a map and behind it the satellite pic. Now, I'm guessing it's too much to hope that the map can be seen in some way as a semi-transparent overlay? I don't ask for much. :whistle:

I've just finished my second cup of coffee and as if by magic the maps appeared. I can see myself spending more time than is probably healthy on the site.

Pete.

This site was flagged last Friday, but I can't find the post, and demonstrates how important it is to get the topics in the right bit which Chris did.

Ah, how odd. I went away and left the page twiddling its thumbs and, on my return, there is a map and behind it the satellite pic. Now, I'm guessing it's too much to hope that the map can be seen in some way as a semi-transparent overlay? I don't ask for much. :whistle:

I suspect it is your download speed on your broadband that is the limiting factor. Broadband providers don't guarantee up/download speeds. I have just shifted to BT's latest offering which has dramatically improved speeds for data heavy (read images). A significant part of the country has had its local fibre exchanges upgraded so it is worth checking if you are a heavy user of data. As I write my download speed is 28.9 Mb/s and upload is 4.7Mb/s. Easy to check what speeds you are getting locally in seconds free online at websites such as this. ..and it tells you what is available locally. Takes less than a minute to do. MG

Edit. There is the ability to change transparency (left centre) and also change the base layer (top right).

• Admin

This site was flagged last Friday, but I can't find the post, and demonstrates how important it is to get the topics in the right bit which Chris did.

Mart

The threads have been merged...scroll up to the top of the thread.

Glen

Glen excellent!

Next question, can we download some of these maps into Linesman and use them if it does not already have them?

My last checked download speed was 35 Mbs (2-3 days ago) so I doubt it was that. I shall return to the site and have a closer look when I have more time to investigate how it works. :)

This is a great site, thanks so much for sharing.

Michael

:D

Thanks for posting - will give this site an explore.

Ant

My last checked download speed was 35 Mbs (2-3 days ago) so I doubt it was that. I shall return to the site and have a closer look when I have more time to investigate how it works. :)

Bill, rather than the linespeed maybe we need to look at the type of coffee we are drinking?

Pete.

Very decent ground coffee made with an Aeropress. Really shouldn't be a problem. Except,perhaps, for quantity. My wife isn't exactly scraping me off the ceiling afterwards. I shall have to be Tommy Two Cups.

• 2 weeks later...

Have just seen the nls site, really helpful and easier to access than the McMaster equivelant.

I am researching the activities of 170 and 251 Tunnelling Companies in late 1915/ early 1916. I have been looking at the McMaster 1916 map 36c NW1 A 15 d, which is a reference given in the 170 TC War Diary. Particular trenches mentioned are eg. Portland Street, Hanover Street, Seymour Street. They are not shown on the map and I wonder if they are too small to show on a map of this scale?

On the nls 1917 map of the same area there are a number of additional trenches which are numbered eg: 41, 42, 43. Are these new or has more detailed been added?

If these trenches not named on the map in 1916 are they too small to show, is there a larger scale map available which would show them?

I would appreciate any help or guidance, as I am trying to research my grandfather's working area as a tunneller with these Tunnelling companies.

Anthony