Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Albert Fairhurst - unknown regiment

wolfy2477

There's an Albert Fairhurst enlisted in the AIF. There only appears to one page. Born Bolton, which isn't a kickin' the **** off Widnes?

Not sure sure where the Service Records are these days, but I can find it in Mapping Our Anzacs

Albert Fairhurst Service number 1746

Place of birth Bolton, England

Place of enlistment Liverpool, NSW, Australia

Mike

The other frustrating one from the St Thomas' Roll is for George Francis Moses, a 27 year old miner of 379 Bolton Rd. He's down as being 'killed in action' on 23 August 1918. Either an alias and there's nearly 2000 killed on that day, or the date and initials are wrong.

Moses is apparently 28413 Pte G Francis, 14th RWF - http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/294342/FRANCIS,%20G

http://www.sthelensrollsofhonour.co.uk/casualty-2195-George_Francis.html

Absolutely awesome- thank you very much indeed.

Edited to add: Found his service record. By coincidence, in 1918 his parents were living just round the corner from where I live now.

And one more, from FreeBMD Deaths,

Fairhurst, Albert Q1 1916 Age:32 Bolton 8c 429.

I add him only because I have encountered a similar (non-military) situation with an ancestor in the early 1900's, who is in one census, but is otherwise invisible.

My feeling is that some of the information in this case (KiA or date) may be wrong.

Albert's son (Thomas) may have had children, and grand- or great-grand- children may therefore still be living who could clarify the situation.

Regards,

JMB

If you go to Wigan Archives, 2 Volunteers have trawled though the Wigan Newspapers and copied all articles relating to Soldiers from the Wigan area and indexed them. A great help for me when I gave a presentation to St. Peters, Bryn on how to research a war memorial, which they did and had a exhibition on all those whose names appear on the Memorial and they also enlisted the School children in their project. Try there.

Also, while I was at St. Peters, Bryn. I was allowed to have a root in the Vestry and they have the Parish Magazine that cover WW1 many soldiers recorded in the Roll of honour which also includes Ashton-in-Makerfield Church.