Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pte W.Lomax.Machine Gun Corps

coldstreamer20

Hi Pals,Are there any Machine Gun Corps experts out there who can give me a approximate date of enlistment for 87885 Pte W.Lomax,many thanks,regards,Paul.

I have not found a MIC for him as yet. There are quite a few MiC's for W Lomax but none showing MGC. Do you know where he was from?

Hi Johnboy,Thank you for your reply to my topic,i think he was from the Blackburn/Darwren area (Lancashire) and his first name was Walter,regards,Paul.

I went past the ASC ones!

Skippy, do you read that he was 54MGC from 9/3/17 - 1/9/17?

I went past the ASC ones!

Skippy, do you read that he was 54MGC from 9/3/17 - 1/9/17?

I am not sure, but I think the 54 is the number of the Army Order, not the MG Coy?

Coldstreamer might be able to subscribe for a free week/month?

Mike

• Admin

He enlisted under the Derby Scheme 10th December 1915 and was mobilized a year later and posted to the ASC (Motor Transport) Depot at Grove Park on 12/12/1916

On 9 January 1917 (on the Authority of War Office Telegram 3375 dated 29/121916) he was posted to the 31st Training Reserve at Dover Harbour at some point he moved to the 32nd TR Bn he was posted from there on 6/3/1917 and joined the MGC the following day when he would be allocated the number. He almost certainly went to the Training School at Grantham.

When 250 Company MGC was being formed in the UK he was appointed company artificer and went overseas with 250 Coy to France on 12th November 1917 and joined 11th (Northern) Division. When the MGC reorganised in February/March 1918 this became part of the 11th Bn MGC. His papers are a little confusing as he is shown as demobilised while on leave on 24/11/1918 and then demobilised to the Z Reserve on the 14th February 1919. It appears he was admitted to hospital suffering from debility as a result of influenza on January 1 1919 which might explain this anomaly.

You will be able to access Ancestry either using the free trial or from your local library if in the UK.

The war diary for 250 MGC can be downloaded from TNA for £3.30 http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7352605

and for a similar sum the 11th Bn http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/Details?uri=C7352606

Lucky man - both of you!

Ken