Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Queen Mary's Open Letter - Citation to the troops

darlig01

Hi

Through my work I’ve been passed a letter by an elderly lady trying to find out more about a document her father was given in WW1. She calls it a citation/open letter and her family always called it Queen Mary’s letter as it was signed Mary Rex

She describes it:

As beginning ‘I send this message of greeting to the men of my army, navy and airforce’ In one corner was a coloured drawing of a mother with a child at her knees praying. In another corner a sailor, soldier and airman.

Her father was given the document in the trenches in France and he was in the Light Greys working with horses.

Does this document ring any kind of bells with people? She’d like to pass on this bit of family history to her family.

I don’t think she means the Christmas tin from Princess Mary.

Any guidance would be appreciated by me and my elderly lady

Many thanks

I don't think the Queen would have referred to 'the men of my army, navy and air force'. Can you get a scan or a photo of this letter?

Thanks - I think the problem is is that the letter writer is elderly and is possibly misremembering what was on a the original document. I've checked what she wrote to me and she does say that the queen said 'men of my army, navy and airforce ...' With all the caveats of time and memory not being totally accurate does the document ring any kind of bell with anyone? Is it possible the letter came with the Princess Mary Christmas tin ??? Has anyone come across a document that passes a nodding resemblance to what my letter writer remembers?

thanks

None of the letters from King George V have images on them,(with the exception of a postcard), all royal communiques to the soldiers etc were embossed with the small address of the royal residence. I doubt that the letter referred to is from Queen Mary and the elderly lady may be confusing two different items. A letter head with images of soldiers in one corner and a mother and child in another seems to me to be more consistent with a charitable or patriotic organization* and there were many of them. I am however not ruling out the possibility that the letter may have come from the Belgian royal household being given out to allied soldiers and written in english.

khaki

*of which it is possible Queen Mary may have been the patroness.

None of the letters from King George V have images on them,(with the exception of a postcard), all royal communiques to the soldiers etc were embossed with the small address of the royal residence. I doubt that the letter referred to is from Queen Mary and the elderly lady may be confusing two different items. A letter head with images of soldiers in one corner and a mother and child in another seems to me to be more consistent with a charitable or patriotic organization* and there were many of them. I am however not ruling out the possibility that the letter may have come from the Belgian royal household being given out to allied soldiers and written in english.

khaki

*of which it is possible Queen Mary may have been the patroness.

As I recall there are QM letters in the front of a few of the Gift Books that raised money for charity. Mine are boxed at the moment - I don't think they have images either. I will check but I won't get into the boxes for a couple of days now.

It's one of those interesting facets about research, you can look forward to being found wrong in what you believe, and discover something new.

khaki

• Admin

There was a letter published in the Times on October 8 1915 in which Queen Mary appealed to 'women of the Empire' to knit, sew etc comforts for the troops for the coming winter. This would be under the auspices of Queen Mary's Needlework Guild.

Letters written by the Queen and published were signed 'Mary' or 'Mary R'

An observation (and I appreciate the memory problem) the Royal Air Force was not formed until April 1918, so could she send greeting to 'men of the airforce'? The generic term for the RFC and RNAS that tended to be used was 'Flying Services'.

Ken

Thanks Ken - I did wonder about the airforce thing too and I'll look at the needlework thingy too - there is mention of that on the IWM