Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

John Thomas Kirkland

judecowie@mac.com

I am not a relative of John Kirkland - but I am trying to trace his Service Records, or any records pertaining to his time in the Army for a lady in the village - I have checked in the "Ancestry" records without success, I am sure there must be other sources I can check - can anyone point me in the right direction.

Thanks and Regards

John

There is a man of the same name listed on Ancestry Date of Birth 23 Dec 1896 as a member of the Royal Naval Division. These were sailors who fought as Infantry. Can you check his DOB? If this is your man his papers should be available from the Fleet Air Arm Museum. You should also be able to download an annotated version from NA.

Rgds

Tim D

I see your topic is tagged Tickhill.

There is a John Thomas Kirkland aged 12, b1899 in Tickhill Yorkshire in the 1911 census.

Also a mic for a John T Kirkland, Camerons, S-41481.

On his mic it states SWB List G/a/929.

This entry shows a John Kirkland discharged 22.3.1919 aged 20, served over seas.

Thanks for your help - much appreciated - I will check his DOB but the entry on the 1911 Census is the man in question. Don't know how I missed the Medal listing though. Any idea what SWB means?

One question though - I would not have expected a man from an agricultural village in the north of England to be a attached to the RND or even the Cameron's - or was this the norm' to keep up unit strength?

Thanks again for your help

John

There is a man of the same name listed on Ancestry Date of Birth 23 Dec 1896 as a member of the Royal Naval Division. These were sailors who fought as Infantry. Can you check his DOB? If this is your man his papers should be available from the Fleet Air Arm Museum. You should also be able to download an annotated version from NA.

Rgds

Tim D

This record shows John Thomas Kirkland's mother to be Henrietta, the same as the 1911 Census. The record shows that on 12 May 1916 he transferred to the R.N.A.S.

In the RAF Service Records, also on FMP, he is shown as being an A/Cman II on 12 May 1916, promoted to A/Cman I on 15 Dec 1916 and transferred to the RAF on 1 April 1918. This record also shows that this transfer was anulled 'vide clause 3 of Army Order 97/1918' on 15 July 1918.

His RN serivce record, also available on FMP, shows that there were no offences or character recorded on the records. From 16 July 1918 to 23 July 1918 he was at Pembroke II as a member of the R.N.A.S. there are no further record entries after 23 July 1918.

Mark

Thanks for pointing me in the right direction for information on Silver War Badges, I had never come across these before.

Thanks also for info' from the RAF Service Records - I will probably regret asking this, but what does FMP stand for? apologies if this is obvious.

Regards

John

John, sorry, FMP is FindMyPast.

Mark

Thanks again to you all for helping - very much appreciated

Regards

John

This record shows John Thomas Kirkland's mother to be Henrietta, the same as the 1911 Census. The record shows that on 12 May 1916 he transferred to the R.N.A.S.

In the RAF Service Records, also on FMP, he is shown as being an A/Cman II on 12 May 1916, promoted to A/Cman I on 15 Dec 1916 and transferred to the RAF on 1 April 1918. This record also shows that this transfer was anulled 'vide clause 3 of Army Order 97/1918' on 15 July 1918.

His RN serivce record, also available on FMP, shows that there were no offences or character recorded on the records. From 16 July 1918 to 23 July 1918 he was at Pembroke II as a member of the R.N.A.S. there are no further record entries after 23 July 1918.

Mark

Nice work Mark. So that's our man then?

• 1 month later...
Guest ilseevans

Thanks for your help - much appreciated - I will check his DOB but the entry on the 1911 Census is the man in question. Don't know how I missed the Medal listing though. Any idea what SWB means?

One question though - I would not have expected a man from an agricultural village in the north of England to be a attached to the RND or even the Cameron's - or was this the norm' to keep up unit strength?

Thanks again for your help

John

Hello John,

I am Walter Hookers great grandaughter, I was asking my mother about Walter and all she knows that he was the first soldier killed from Tickhill after only 6 weeks at war, your other research sounds correct as Walters father lived in Uxbridge and Walters Daughter, Doris, my grandmother was born in Tickhill. I live in Watford and I am going to see the War Memorial in Kings Langley tomorrow to check to see if Walter is on it, it is in the church grounds, so i will keep you posted tomorrow, kind regards Ilse Evans