Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cartridge headstamp help

johnnie

I was wondering if any members might be able to help with the latest item that I've picked up. I assume the date of the cartridge is 1917 from the stamps, but I wasn't sure what the other bits mean.

The photo isn't the best, but the stamps seem to be:

65.DE.M

RS.L.446.17.D

Any help at all would be great. I had thought French or German, but will no doubt be miles off!

Johnnie

post-11843-0-36264800-1404119236_thumb.j

A mountain gun case? I think French 75mm were marked DEC for de campagne so a smaller calibre 65mm case for a mountain gun may be marked DEM for de montain? Just a thought, I'm sure someone who knows more than I do will clarify soon.

Just googled it, probably from a models 1906 65mm mountain gun. I know more than I did a few moments ago. Not a common case, the only mountain gun case I have seen is a German 75mm one which now sits in my modest collection.

Yes, 65mm Mountain gun.

Case made by Atelier de Construction de Rennes (RS) as Lot 446 of 1917. Case metal supplied by Societe Electro-Mecanique de Dives (D), a private company.

Regards

TonyE

Many thanks for all of the help with this. Good to know what it is actually from. I had a feeling French so good to have it confirmed.

Thanks again,

Johnnie