Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez

Ivor

Is anyone going to the Cabaret Rouge British Cemetery, Souchez in the near future? If you are could you please do me a favour.

As some of you may have read in another topic, my Great Uncle, 200738 Joseph Steele of the Kings Own Royal (Lancaster) Regiment, was killed by allied shelling of Salome in April 1918, whilst being held a prisoner. Also killed with Joseph were Robert Helm (of Dalton) and Pte. Robert Ralston (of Lancaster).

Joseph’s body was never identified however Robert Helm and Robert Ralston are both buried in the same row (Plot VIII, Row U.) in Cabaret Rouge British Cem., Souchez. Could you please look and see if there are any unknown soldiers buried close to Helm and Ralston as this would be a great help in my search as I believe that Joseph may be buried close to these two.

Thanks for your help.

Ivor

Ivor

I should be there in the next ten days - I'll have a look.

Mike S

Mike,

While on your visit it would mean a lot to me if you could kindly find his grave, spend a moment and tell him that his family has not forgotten him. He is Charles Henry FOGDEN, Sergeant, 13th Battalion, Royal Sussex Regiment, kia 30 June 1916. Buried in plot 15, row P, grave 40, Caberet Rouge, British Cemetery, France.

Digger

Meant to attach at photo of Charles.

post-19-1098297476.jpg

Ivor,

Charles was just 23 years and 4 months when he was killed - quite old compared to some of the lads that died. Family stories mention that he was a quiet gentle man and I think that shows in this photograph.

Digger

Digger,

Thanks, I agree with you regarding his photo showing him to be aquiet gentleman. He was 3 years older than my great uncle Joseph was killed.

All the best,

Ivor

Ivor,

According to the AA route planner for Europe and always supposing I have the right Givenchy (Givenchy-Le-Noble, France according to the AA) the distance is 22.7 miles or 36.6 km.

Thanks for your comments regarding Charles, like so many families we lost too many decent young men.

Digger

Mike,

May be too late but...

Just wondering if you could photograph the grave of 550540, Sergeant C. L. Beaumont at Cabaret Rouge Cemetery - grave XXII. C. 16.

Many thanks,

Hugh.

Ivor,

Got message from Andy re your Great uncle and will be happy to assist on my forthcoming trip.

Same for digger and Hugh - let me see what I can do. Just hope the weather brightens up sufficiently to get decent photos.

Thanks for sharing the photo digger - it personalises the whole thing and I will be happy to pay my respects.

No more photo requests for the moment though please - I am taking some friends (a couple of whom have not visited the area before) and our schedule is fairly tight.

All the best

Mike

Many thanks Mike.

Here is a picture of Sgt Beaumont. He was killed on the Somme on 1st July 1916 and left behind a wife and two children. His body was found during battlefield clearance in the 1920s and identified by a locket found on it.

Thanks again,

Hugh.

post-19-1098556896.jpg

Hugh

Thanks for sharing that photo. I will be glad to search out Sgt Beaumont, take a photo of the grave, and pay my respects.

"He was killed on the Somme on 1st July 1916 and left behind a wife and two children. His body was found during battlefield clearance in the 1920s and identified by a locket found on it."

It's an honour really - I find the whole thing deeply humbling.

Mike

"always supposing I have the right Givenchy (Givenchy-Le-Noble...)"

perhaps not - Givenchy-en-Gohelle is only 1-2 km away.

Guess it depends which one Ivor meant.

Mike

post-19-1098636354.jpg

Thanks everyone for your help. The Givenchy I am after is near to Chapelle St Roch and La Bassee, so could you please tell me which Givenchy is it, Le-Noble or en-Gohelle? I assume it will be Givenchy-en-Gohelle otherwise why would they take the bodies to a cemetery 36.6 km away?

Thanks again for all your help.

Ivor

Ivor

A third givenchy is then the most likely and that is Givenchy-Lès-la-Bassée about four km south of Festubert and 8km east of Salome. This Givenchy is about 20km north of Souchez.

I guess that the POWs would have originally been buried by the Germans locally to Salome and reinterred in Cabaret Rouge during the battlefield clearances.

Mike

• 2 weeks later...

Ok Chaps

Photos first

Hugh

I have got some photos for you of Sgt Beaumont's grave both of the headstone and general situation view. Contact me off forum and I will e-mail them to you.

Digger

I also visited Sgt Fogden's grave, placed a cross of remembrance on it and told him he was in your thoughts. Likewise I have some photos for you if you wish to contact me off forum so that I can arrange delivery.

Ivor

There's nothing really conclusive to report back. I have a list of the headstones in the row in which Helm and Ralston are buried. Those in the row in front and behind are from a completely different period so I did not note them.

Let me collate the information and i will post it up here.

Mike

Mike,

Thanks for all the time you have taken on our behalf by gathering all of this info. I, and I'm sure the others, all appreciate your help.

I look forward to reading your list of headstones.

Thanks again.

Chears,

Ivor

Mike

Thank you. Your kindness has meant a great deal to me, and I haven't the words to express what I am feeling right now - but I am not ashamed to say that I have tears in my eyes as I write this. Again , my thanks.

Digger

Ivor

Inconclusive I'm afraid - only candidate would be the unknown soldier in VIII U 16.

Time did not permit to extend my search though I can tell you that the row in front was largely Black Watch and those to the left, right and behind were the wrong time frame. It might be worth seeing if anyone else is visiting and could more thoroughly search section VIII than I was able to. All the best Mike

VIII. U. 11

8458,Pte F Jesson,Army Cyclist Corps,09/04/1918

VIII. U. 12

240286,Pte R Ralston,King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regt.),28/04/1918

VIII. U. 13

265749,Pte T Rimmer,The King's (Liverpool Regiment),29/04/1918

VIII. U. 14

265952,Pte Harry Barton,The King's (Liverpool Regiment),09/07/1918

VIII. U. 15

86698,Rfn G Dewhurst,The King's (Liverpool Regiment),09/07/1918

VIII. U. 16

A Soldier of the Great War

VIII. U. 17

24306,Pte R Wormall,King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regt.),09/04/1918

VIII. U. 18

Unknown L/Cpl,A Soldier of the Great War,The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

VIII. U. 19

A Soldier of the Great War,The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

VIII. U. 20

A Soldier of the Great War,The King's (Liverpool Regiment)

VIII. U. 21

266421,Pte A Scott,Black Watch,20/08/1917

VIII. U. 22

20115,Pte,R,Helm,King's Own (Royal Lancaster Regt.),28/04/1918

VIII. U. 23

202728,Rfn,S ,Jones,The King's (Liverpool Regiment),28/04/1918

VIII. U. 24

Lt FS Ganter,Royal Air Force,27/06/1918

VIII. U. 25

A Soldier of the Great War,09/04/1918

VIII. U. 26

A Soldier of the Great War,A Scottish Regt,17/04/2018

Mike,

That's great. I appreciate all you have done and the time you have taken out to have a look for me. This gives me something to be working on and expand on.

Thanks again.

Ivor