Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Essex Regiment 1st Battalion - John E Barnes

chids

Hi,
I am new to the forum, found it whilst doing a google search for details regarding my great grandfather John Edwin Barnes who was killed in Gallipoli on the first day of landings 25th April 1915.

I have some general information as I am researching my family history, I also have his campaign war medals.

Any help would be appreciated. I would dearly love any pictures of the 1st Regiment if anybody has any??

Not sure if this is posted in the right section of the forum, please feel free to move it to another section as appropriate .

His details as follows;

Name: John Edwin Barnes
Birth Place: Poplar, Middlesex
Residence: Dublin
Death Date: 25 Apr 1915
Death Place: Gallipoli
Enlistment Place: Stratford, Essex
Regiment: Essex Regiment
Battalion: 1st Battalion
Regimental Number: 8987
Type of Casualty: Killed in action
Theatre of War: Balkan Theatre

Edited by SPOF
Email address removed to prevent spamming.

Welcome. I'm new here too, but have run searches on the commonwealth graves website (cwgc.org) before. I ran a few different queries for John Edwin Barnes and don't come up with a graves registration for him. I tried searching by regiment and number as well as variation of name/initials. There's likely a better source for searching - this is the only one I have access to and know. Perhaps one of the more learned members here can help you find details of your Great Grandfather and his service.

Best regards,

Tom

• Admin

Welcome Chids.

Here is his CWGC entry

http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead/casualty/698548/BARNES,%20JOHN%20EDWIN

(just search for Barnes, 25/4/1915,Essex Regiment)

Looking at the fact he was in a regular battalion along with his number, he was probably a pre-war regular soldier. This site suggests he enlisted around the middle of 1907 and must haver only just completed his 7 years full time service before going into the Reserve for 5 years.

Can you find him in the 1911 census?

Glen

Thanks Glen and Tom. Found his name on the Helles Memorial and after a bit of searching have now found him in the 1911 census in India

Census

1911 — Age: 21

Quette, Baluhistan, India

The service numbers web site it a real bonus cheers Glen. I'm hopeful somebody may have a priceless photograph if I'm really lucky.

8987 John Edwin Barnes Born Poplar. Enlisted into the 3rd Militia Battalion Essex Regiment as Number 9431 on 17th October 1906, aged 17 years 7 months. A carman by profession living at 66 Hamsworth{?} Road Canning Town. In June 1907 he attested for Regular Service and after basic training at Warley depot, was posted to 2nd Battalion Essex later in 1907. Posted from the 2nd Battalion to the 1st Battalion stationed in on Quetta 5th January 1911. In Quetta he served with C Company. 1911 Census refers. C Company was merged to form part of the new “Y” Company when the battalion moved to a four company structure in 1913.

Below link to Photo of Y Company 1st Essex on 25th April at W Beach. Taken by Lt F G B Thomas of 1st Essex.

Regards

Clive

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?f%5B0%5D=makerString%3AThomas%20%28Lt%2C%201st%20Battalion%2C%20Essex%20Regt%29&query

Wow what can I say Clive, that is really fantastic. Thank you very much for that, the additional info and picture is amazing. I'm gradually piecing together his details and this really helps, thank you.

• 3 weeks later...

Would love to hear from anyone who had family members in the same regiment and if anyone has anymore photographs of the regiment that they wouldn't mind sharing I would be grateful. Thanks

• 11 months later...

Thanks for the picture can actually see the inscription for J.E. barnes that's brilliant thankyou!!

• 2 weeks later...

The war diary for the 1st Bn Essex Regt for this day is extremely difficult to read and in parts is illegible. Here is a transcription that you might find useful:

1st Bn Essex Regt War Diary 25th April 1915

09:00. The Battalion less 2 Companies transhipped from HMT DONGOLA to a mine sweeper and was conveyed as close to the shore as possible. When they were transferred to boats. The landing was carried out under fire and there were several casualties in the boats which took place on W Beach about 09:30.

09:30 As soon as the first boats were beached, we received orders to connect between the 2nd Bn ROYAL FUS on right and 1st Bn LANCASHIRE FUS on left and as many as we available were sent to fill this gap, reinforcing as men arrived on the beach. On reaching the west it was found that no one was on the beach.
11:35. A message was received from GHQ to report progress and reasons for not pushing on. Reply was sent that we were waiting for our left to come up and would then advance. This was attempted but the advance was held up by very heavy fire and many casualties [illegible].
12:30 Supported by 4th Bn WORCESTERSHIRE REGT and after bombardment by navy, which drove out the enemy, the Battalion took Hill 138 and redoubt beyond.
19:00. Received orders to connect with 4th Bn WORCESTERSHIRE REGT on right and 2nd Bn HAMPSHIRE REGT on left and entrench position. Enemy attacked at night and came to close range with a machine-gun but inflicted no loss and were driven off.
Casualties during day:
2 Officers killed,
2 Officers wounded, one since dead.
Other Ranks: 15 killed, 87 wounded.

• 3 weeks later...

Brilliant stuff Martin thank you very much. By just googling his name in relation to Gallipoli I have subsequently found that John Edwin Barnes is mentioned in a book Britains Lost Regiments by Trevor Royle.

https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=q_3RBAAAQBAJ&pg=PT152&lpg=PT152&dq=john+edwin+barnes+gallipoli&source=bl&ots=uEe0uaq-B-&sig=UuLFWeQ_iv8rN8qV2mvYbQaQGA4&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0CD4Q6AEwCWoVChMI7KrDpqWuxwIVQbcUCh1ovABl#v=onepage&q=john%20edwin%20barnes%20gallipoli&f=false

• 3 months later...

I've managed to collate additional data on my great grand father John Edwin Barnes, utilising info here and what I have researched myself.

The following information is taken from John Edwin Barnes Army enlisting documentation dated 19th October 1906. He was recruited into the Essex Regiment at the Frances Street Office, Woolwich, London. On the day he enlisted, he was 17 years and 7 months old. His height was 5ft 6 1/2" and his weight 12st 3lbs. His chest measurement was 35" and his complexion listed as Sallow. He had brown eyes and auburn hair and his religion is listed as C of E.

He had the following distinguishing marks:

Scar left side of forehead

Scar between shoulder blades

Tattoo I Love F.Bevens front of left forearm

His address on enlisting is: 66, Hansworth Street, Canning Town, London.

His next of kin are listed as follows:

Father Harry 66 Hansworth St. Canning Town Essex

Elder Bros Harry Pte East Surrey Regt, Walter .................

Jnr Bros Arthur and Edward Sisters Martha & Ethel, all with father

John Edwin Barnes served as a Private in the First World War in the Essex Regiment, 1st Battalion, serial number 8987. He was killed in action in Gallipoli, Turkey on 25 April 1915 and he is remembered on The Helles Memorial, Turkey. He was awarded the Victory Medal, The British Medal, The Star Medal and The Memorial Plaque. He is listed as going from the 2nd Battalion, then at the Curragh Camp, to join the 1st Battalion in the Regimental Magazine of April 1911. He then appears in the 1911 Census at Quetta with C Company of the 1st Bn as a single Private soldier aged 22. He landed at Gallipoli on the first day of the landing, thereby earning the 1914-15 Star, on which day he was killed.

Essex Regiment 1st Battalion troop movements:

1st Battalion

August 1914 : in Mauritius. Returned to England in December 1914.

18 January 1915 : moved to Banbury and attached to 88th Brigade in 29th Division.

21 March 1915 : sailed from Avinmouth for Gallipoli, going via Egypt and Mudros. Landed at Cape helles 25 April 1915.

8 January 1916 : evacuated from Gallipoli and moved to Egypt.

Memorial Location: The Anzac and Suvla cemeteries are first signposted from the left hand junction of the Eceabat- Bigali Road. From this junction travel into the main Anzac area. Follow the road to Helles, opposite the Kabatepe Museum, at 14.2 kms. take a right turn at the 'T' junction and at 14.3 kms. take the left fork. After a total of 22.8 kms, take a right turn to the memorial along a rough track 500m long. The Helles Memorial stands on the tip of the Gallipoli Peninsula. It takes the form of an obelisk over 30 metres high that can be seen by ships passing through the Dardanelles.

The eight month campaign in Gallipoli was fought by Commonwealth and French forces in an attempt to force Turkey out of the war, to relieve the deadlock of the Western Front in France and Belgium, and to open a supply route to Russia through the Dardanelles and the Black Sea. The Allies landed on the peninsula on 25-26 April 1915; the 29th Division at Cape Helles in the south and the Australian and New Zealand Corps north of Gaba Tepe on the west coast, an area soon known as Anzac. On 6 August, further landings were made at Suvla, just north of Anzac, and the climax of the campaign came in early August when simultaneous assaults were launched on all three fronts. However, the difficult terrain and stiff Turkish resistance soon led to the stalemate of trench warfare. From the end of August, no further serious action was fought and the lines remained unchanged. The peninsula was successfully evacuated in December and early January 1916. The Helles Memorial serves the dual function of Commonwealth battle memorial for the whole Gallipoli campaign and place of commemoration for many of those Commonwealth servicemen who died there and have no known grave. The United Kingdom and Indian forces named on the memorial died in operations throughout the peninsula, the Australians at Helles. There are also panels for those who died or were buried at sea in Gallipoli waters. The memorial bears more than 21,000 names. There are four other Memorials to the Missing at Gallipoli. The Lone Pine, Hill 60, and Chunuk Bair Memorials commemorate Australian and New Zealanders at Anzac. The Twelve Tree Copse Memorial commemorates the New Zealanders at Helles. Naval casualties of the United Kingdom lost or buried at sea are recorded on their respective Memorials at Portsmouth, Plymouth and Chatham, in the United Kingdom.

• 8 months later...

just wondering if anybody has anymore pics from The Essex Regiment in Gallipoli?? thanks

• 11 months later...

Hello

Our tales are strikingly similar. Like your great grandfather, my grest uncle - Private Henry Tull, X Company, First Battalion, Essex Regiment, service number 9210, born 1890 was killed at Gallipoli on 25 May 1915.

My great uncle was also a professional soldier, enlisting at Stratford in 1907, his family home being 10 Hayday Road, Canning Town. 

Also, he was stationed in Baluchistan, India in 1911.

Their circumstances are so similar, I wonder if they were mates who joined up together?

Regards

Iris Tull

1st Bn Essex Regiment Gallipoli War Diary

Fully transcribed and now a searchable document. Fatal casualty rolls appended etc. This is a Kindle e-book and can be read on any PC using the Free Kindle Reader App which can be downloaded for free and takes less than 30 seconds. One does not need a Kindle device. 

The original diary is extremely difficult to read in parts. This transcription makes the illegible legible and creates a unique searchable work. Names and places can be found in less than a second. History at your fingertips. 

The Brigade War Diary is also available and adds another layer of history. Ditto the other 11 Battalions of the 29th Division. Some of the finest and most detailed diaries I have worked on. Each costs less than a single diary files from the National Archives and less than a month's subscription to Ancestry - the only other sources for this material. 

MG

Edited by Guest

• 1 year later...
On 16/08/2017 at 17:48, IRIS TULL said:

Hello

Our tales are strikingly similar. Like your great grandfather, my grest uncle - Private Henry Tull, X Company, First Battalion, Essex Regiment, service number 9210, born 1890 was killed at Gallipoli on 25 May 1915.

My great uncle was also a professional soldier, enlisting at Stratford in 1907, his family home being 10 Hayday Road, Canning Town. 

Their circumstances are so similar, I wonder if they were mates who joined up together?

Regards

Iris Tull

Sorry Iris, only just seen your post from all that time ago, it would appear that our ancestors could easily have known each other, my biggest regret is not having a photo of my John Edwin Barnes

On 16/08/2017 at 18:12, Guest said:

1st Bn Essex Regiment Gallipoli War Diary

Fully transcribed and now a searchable document. Fatal casualty rolls appended etc. This is a Kindle e-book and can be read on any PC using the Free Kindle Reader App which can be downloaded for free and takes less than 30 seconds. One does not need a Kindle device. 

The original diary is extremely difficult to read in parts. This transcription makes the illegible legible and creates a unique searchable work. Names and places can be found in less than a second. History at your fingertips. 

The Brigade War Diary is also available and adds another layer of history. Ditto the other 11 Battalions of the 29th Division. Some of the finest and most detailed diaries I have worked on. Each costs less than a single diary files from the National Archives and less than a month's subscription to Ancestry - the only other sources for this material. 

MG

Thank you MG for adding this link and the info provided, I will certainly be purchasing a kindle edition of the Gallipoli Diaries 

On 01/07/2014 at 09:34, owen4256 said:

8987 John Edwin Barnes Born Poplar. Enlisted into the 3rd Militia Battalion Essex Regiment as Number 9431 on 17th October 1906, aged 17 years 7 months. A carman by profession living at 66 Hamsworth{?} Road Canning Town. In June 1907 he attested for Regular Service and after basic training at Warley depot, was posted to 2nd Battalion Essex later in 1907. Posted from the 2nd Battalion to the 1st Battalion stationed in on Quetta 5th January 1911. In Quetta he served with C Company. 1911 Census refers. C Company was merged to form part of the new “Y” Company when the battalion moved to a four company structure in 1913.

Below link to Photo of Y Company 1st Essex on 25th April at W Beach. Taken by Lt F G B Thomas of 1st Essex.

Regards

Clive

http://www.iwm.org.uk/collections/search?f%5B0%5D=makerString%3AThomas%20%28Lt%2C%201st%20Battalion%2C%20Essex%20Regt%29&query

Going back to this earlier post from Clive he mentions the 3rd militia battalion Essex Regiment a different number to what I have. I have 8987 and Clive mentions 9431, is this information readily available or am I missing it on the atteststion record? 

One last question he ends ends up in Dublin in 1909 where he gets married so presumably the Essex Regiment we’re stationed here, I have tried to find a record of them being in Dublin at this time but have been unable to find anything obvious.

All help as always is greatly appreciated

thanks 

Paul  

• 2 weeks later...

I have finally written up the story for my 3. x great grand father John Edwin Barnes, thanks again for everyone's help on here that have helped make this possible, cheers everyone.

One of my “Heroes” and Favourite Ancestors the fourth in my series of blogs about my 8 great-grandparents The Life and Times of John Edwin Barnes

https://chiddicksfamilytree.wordpress.com/2019/08/17/the-life-and-times-of-john-edwin-barnes/

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
On 17/08/2017 at 02:48, IRIS TULL said:

Hello

Regards

Iris Tull

Iris,

I own Lieutenant Colonel Pepy's medals who commanded X Company at Gallipoli and won his Military Cross for these actions.

Andrew

Is he a relation of yours Andrew

Thanks Andrew 

• 3 years later...

I have managed to locate two pictures of the Essex Regiment when they were stationed in India 1910/1911. I know that my GGF John Edwin Barnes would have been in these pictures, sadly I don’t which one he is, but this will probably be the nearest I will ever get to a picture of him. I thought others might also be interested.

9E671C33-33F5-4AA4-B8B6-C256A49D6B1E.jpeg

9B0CEC8A-5AF0-4501-A5DB-6A9E4CF42ED9.jpeg