Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Turkish inscription on German shell case ?

Stuart Brown

The below inscription appears on a cut down shell case.

I believe the shell case to be German (?). It is 16.5cm across the base and has the following base markings : GFSP : 315 : JAN 1917 : SP197 . The firing cap is marked Schlgzdsschr14 FLSb (?).

I have always thought that the inscription was Turkish but would appreciate any suggestions. Two images to capture it all.

thanks

Stuart

post-23-1098277808.jpg

It might be turkish but looks more arabic. The turks didn't have a standardised alphabet until Kemal sorted one out in the 20s so not 100% sure either way.

It is Arabic which could also be Turkish bearing in mind they occupied all the middle east up until WW1. I can see a year date there but havnt got my tome to hand and the mind is rusty as Ive been away from that area for 2 years. Theres also an A and an R I can see but this really isnt helpful. Ill go find my book Insh'alla!!

Thanks everyone for the replies.

zephyr4,

The piece of lettering at the bottom of the right shell case bears some similarity.

Stuart

I have a few of these shell and the writing is slightly different on all of them, I have one which Damascus is spelt backwards, I suppose some of the people who did these thing could not read and write.

Any suggestions please

Turn the photographs the correct way up for the writing to be readable.

Words read right to left , numbers left to right.

So far we have 9th January ??? 1917

Possibly Gaza??

The rest is in progress but is not exactly making sense at this time . it is a type of Ruqua arabic predominant in Ottoman influenced countries.

Correction to previous post, the date is 9th December 1917 which is the capture of Jerusalem. I dontoffhand know the arabic name for Jerusalem but I believe thats what it is telling us.

Rupert,

Many thanks for your help with this query.

I photographed the shell case sitting on its base so I hope that I did not confuse anyone with the upside down writing.

Stuart

It appears the incomprehensible:

9th December 1917 Al Sasheefa (Sassifa)

Does this mean anything to anyone??? There is room for some error on my part of course :D

I know very very little about the Egyption Expeditionary Force but I did buy a book on the subject some years ago which I have just located.

Willing to be proved wrong - Jerusalem surrendered on the 9th December 1917.

Looking at the map there is a place named Ras el Sherife about 8 miles South West of Jerusalem. That's the nearest I can see to Al Sasheefa. Will keep looking.

Thank you yet again.

Stuart

That seems a very likely answer to your query given the date and that this would be manufactured as a souvenir. There will be slight differences in my interpretation as this inscription uses around 4 different forms of a vowel and consonant which do leave room for error on my part.

Well that was a very satisfactory thread - I hope that I can return the favour sometime. Just for info the map.

regards

Stuart

post-23-1098472569.jpg

I dontoffhand know the arabic name for Jerusalem

Re the query; What is the Arabic name for Jerusalem

it is ‘el Quds’ = the holy

Sorry, can’t help more re ‘sassifa’ - only

the nearest Google can come up with is

Al Assifa = Storm/tempest

Regards

Michael D.R.

Clutching at straws?

We've had January and December, but

could the date be 9th November 1917? and could the name be Sawafir?

On that date the "2nd Australian Light Horse Brigade took the Sawafir villages" during the great northward drive of Allenby's forces that followed the collapse of the Turkish Gaza-Beersheba front

Regards

Michael D.R.

No its definitely December (see pic) nor is there a Waw (W) in the script.

Al Assifa = Storm/tempest

In this case = Battle

That happens to fit very nicely thankyou my stray S is probably associated somehow with the Al not the Assifa.

Rupert,

The 'tome' you refer to at the start of this thread - is this effectively a Ruqua arabic phrase book, giving examples of words etc and their arabic script from this period ? If so, what it is called - I've got several pieces of trench art from this area/period and haven't been able to find anyone who can translate the text on them. I don't wish to burden you with any more, but if there is a book that can help me, I'll buy it !!

Thanks

Jim

No the book isnt specific Ruqua it is actually what you might term more classical. However I have a couple of sheets that give a few variations which I nicked off the web also some Hindi which happens to be very similar, they are essentially the same in all texts just the writing style differs as did English over the years.The book I have is by:

Hipocrene Language Studies

Arabic for Beginners.

ISBN 0-7818-0114-1

However it is very in depth and is by no means a tourist booklet.The point to remember with arabic is that it is very diverse. Spoken arabic is not directly reflected in written arabic .Spoken or local arabic can be similar to a slang, as can other languages.

If you want I shall look at your scripts if you send or post a photo. I dont offer guarantees though as Im by no means an expert at this.