Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Re-print of The Times, 29th June 1914

Anneca

Interesting re-print, front page covering "The Austrian Tragedy" with photos of Archduke Franz Ferdinand and Sophie and most of the paper covering the aftermath with a double page map of the area of The European War.

Anne

Indeed. There a picture of the actual newspaper is included which seems to indicate that the story was broken, I don't suppose news broke in those days, it was on page 7.

Old Tom

Indeed. There a picture of the actual newspaper is included which seems to indicate that the story was broken, I don't suppose news broke in those days, it was on page 7.

Old Tom

I don't seem to have this in my copy. As the re-print is not numbered it is not in this, nor page 7 of "Weekend" or the main paper. There is a small one on the front page (100th Anniversary Special Edition) - I wonder if there are regional variations of the paper.

Anne

You could be right! I have 8 page 'pull out' with extracts of the 1914 issue. These pages are numbered, but the page 7 I referred to was part of the small one on page 1 of the 'pull out'. The object of my comment was to suggest that in June 1914 it was not front page news. That may not be a sound assupmtion as in those days, I believe, the front page of The Times was advertisements.

Old Tom