Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Nurse Photograph

miliwis

Hello,

I'm working with the children at our village school on a WW1 project and one of them brought in the attached photograph of a nurse called Nellie Prince. Regrettably there isn't any other information about her, and I've not been successful in finding her on any of the nursing indexes. I'm assuming she is a VAD nurse, though I'm afraid my knowledge in this area is very scant.

If anyone could offer up any other information about her based on the uniform that would be fantastic.

Many thanks,

Scott

post-75813-0-52874200-1403905518_thumb.j

Looks like civilian hospital WW1 period to me, but I'm sure Sue will have a better guess !

Norman

Thanks Norman, That also occurred to me, and maybe why I can't find this lady in any of the published indexes.

Best wishes,

Scott

P.S. The photographer's mark is Vokes Valley Bridge Studio.

I agree with Norman - a nurse in a civil hospital - the buckle indicates that she probably has formal nurse training of some kind.

Sue

Dear Sue,

Many thanks for your advice, which is greatly appreciated. I thoroughly enjoyed reading through your website btw, and have a much better understanding of nursing in the Great War.

Best wishes,

Scott

Thanks Scott - a whole new site is on the way, just for those who might get bored, and believe me I've made a real effort to be very boring :)

Sue