Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Reburial German soldiers

charlotte cardoen-descamps

I have just been informed that 25 German soldiers will be officially reburied on the German Cemetery in Langemark. This reburial will take place on November 10th at 11 a.m..

It might also interest you to know that the town hall of Langemark has bought a field next to the German cemetery with the intention of providing more parking space in order to make it safer to visit the cemetery.

Charlotte

I must admit that I don't know the answer to the question. As a matter of fact I am still waiting for the e-mail with more additional information. I do believe that some of them must be the soldiers who were found in Boezinge a couple of months ago. And to my knowledge some remains have been found while digging across the Pilckem Ridge battlefield ( that was done on demand of a Flemish minister to see what lies underneath). The result of the digging works there would then help to take a decision as to whether or not the A19 motorways will be expanded. The only news I have on that matter is : no news.....

charlotte

It is good news that car parking at Langemark is to be improved, though the last time I was there I was on a bike.

I think it is also a reflection of the fact that German cemetaries are heavily visited, which is a good thing, though I do wonder about the proportion of nationalities visiting.

I do believe that some of them must be the soldiers who were found in Boezinge a couple of months ago. And to my knowledge some remains have been found while digging across the Pilckem Ridge battlefield ( that was done on demand of a Flemish minister to see what lies underneath).

Very good to hear this Charlotte. When/if yoiu obtain the names of these guys could you please post them?

Robbie

Where did the soldiers come from? Were they found recently?

They were found on the Boezinge canal site by the Diggers, since Aug 2003.

The Boezinge canal site (where Yorkshire Trench & Dugout is) is not part of Pilckem Ridge, and has nothing to do with the possible extension of the A19 motorway.

Aurel

When/if yoiu obtain the names of these guys could you please post them?

Robbie

Robbie,

None of the remains could be identified.

And maybe a small correction re my previous posting :

Since Aug 2003 remains of 25 German soldiers have been found by the Diggers. On 10 Nov remains of 25 men will be reburied at Langemark. That's why I suppose that they all (or most ?) were found at Boezinge.

Aurel