The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Royal West Surrey Regiment - Guildford Enlisting Office?

Duddridge

Hello. While researching my great-grandfather's war diaries, he mentions enlisting in Guildford in mid-1915. Does anyone know where Guildford's enlisting office was in 1915?

Many thanks in advance.

Have you found his service record?

If so, the address may be shown on his attestation form.

Guildford was the depot and Regimental HQ for the Queen's, so it may simply have been at the barracks. THe recruitment books, held at Surrey History Centre amy also shed some light

Guildford was the depot and Regimental HQ for the Queen's, so it may simply have been at the barracks. THe recruitment books, held at Surrey History Centre amy also shed some light

Many thanks. I assume that would have been Stoughton Barracks [http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/g/guildford_stoughton_barracks/index.html], which I understand is now a residential housing estate.

Yes, that's the one.

The catalogue description for the recruitment registers (http://www.surreyarchives.org.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=2496) notes only:

With the end of the war many of the wartime recruiting offices were closed down, including the recruiting office at Guildford, the headquarters of 2nd Regimental District, which on 19 October 1918 was ordered to be amalgamated with the 31st Regimental District at Kingston.

According to a Queen’s Royal West Surrey recruitment register 1914-1916 held at the Surrey History Centre (reference: QRWS/1/3/3) G/2323 Walter Hitchcock, aged 21, enlisted on 15 September 1914 for 3 years. Whether this was at Stoughton Barracks or in Guildford is not indicated and there are no further details regarding him in the register.

I have seen an article in a local Surrey newspaper, either the Surrey Advertiser or Surrey Mirror, regarding army recruiting during late 1914 or early 1915 that includes addresses of local recruiting offices; however, I will have to try to hunt it down.

The Surrey History Centre also holds the 2nd (Queen’s Royal (West Surrey) Regiment) and the 31st (East Surrey Regiment) Regimental Recruiting Districts Recruitment Registers (Army Book 303), 1908-1933, (reference: 2496/1-44). However, these registers mainly cover the East Surrey Regimental Recruitment District.

regards

Bootneck

Many thanks. I assume that would have been Stoughton Barracks [http://www.subbrit.org.uk/rsg/sites/g/guildford_stoughton_barracks/index.html], which I understand is now a residential housing estate.

Cardwell's Keep and the main gate to Stoughton Barracks still exists. Also along the road opposite the Keep (Barrack Road) is an interesting sign "Soldiers Welcome" painted on the front of a cottage - I certain others can advise what they were welcome for?

Sepoy

post-55476-0-24071500-1403967701_thumb.j

post-55476-0-10557600-1403967852_thumb.j

According to a Queen’s Royal West Surrey recruitment register 1914-1916 held at the Surrey History Centre (reference: QRWS/1/3/3) G/2323 Walter Hitchcock, aged 21, enlisted on 15 September 1914 for 3 years. Whether this was at Stoughton Barracks or in Guildford is not indicated and there are no further details regarding him in the register.

I have seen an article in a local Surrey newspaper, either the Surrey Advertiser or Surrey Mirror, regarding army recruiting during late 1914 or early 1915 that includes addresses of local recruiting offices; however, I will have to try to hunt it down.

The Surrey History Centre also holds the 2nd (Queen’s Royal (West Surrey) Regiment) and the 31st (East Surrey Regiment) Regimental Recruiting Districts Recruitment Registers (Army Book 303), 1908-1933, (reference: 2496/1-44). However, these registers mainly cover the East Surrey Regimental Recruitment District.

regards

Bootneck

Many thanks, Bootneck - anything you come across from the old newspapers would be most welcome! (I'm an amateur at this research business!)

Cardwell's Keep and the main gate to Stoughton Barracks still exists. Also along the road opposite the Keep (Barrack Road) is an interesting sign "Soldiers Welcome" painted on the front of a cottage - I certain others can advise what they were welcome for?

Sepoy

Thank you for the photographs! I will have to go and have a look - I don't live far from there.

• 2 weeks later...

Besides Stoughton Barracks, the Borough Hall in the High Street was also used as a recruiting office, at least during the later part of 1914.

Bootneck

• 5 weeks later...
Guest ajahitchcock

Greetings cousin Duddridge, I have recently discovered this site. Fascinated to find my paternal grandfather here. hope to unearth more about him in due course.