Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

The Hunns

midshipmanrayley

The Hunn brothers are distant relations. Ernest Harry Hunn was born in Great Yarmouth in 1896 and was killed in action at The Somme on 5th October 1916. He served as private 43638 in 8th Battalion Norfolk Regt.

His brother Edgar Herbert Hunn was born in 1897 in Great Yarmouth and survived the war. He served in the Machine Gun Corps as private 42090 but had previous service in the Norfolk Regt Territorial Force.

On the Great Yarmouth Roll of Honour is also listed another Hunn casualty William James Hunn, private 15363 9th Battalion Norfolk Regt. Killed in action 19th August 1916 at The Somme.

I am sure both casualties are related but cannot make the connection. Hunn being a fairly unusual name and perhaps not the best to have during The Great War.

Can any member please help me make the connection?

Yes Mike that's the brothers Ernest and Edgar.

Henry William Hunn 1866 to 1946 resident of Great Yarmouth was Ernest and Edgar's father.

George Smith Hunn 1838-1904 resident of Great Yarmouth was father of Henry William Hunn and grandfather to Ernest and Edgar. Still unable to make the connection to Herbert the father of William James Hunn.

Constructed family tree for both Hunn families but found no connection or if there is one it is too far back in time, also tried William James Hunn's mother Louisa Maria Rivett.

• 2 months later...

Found more Hunn casualties, cousins of Earnest Harry Hunn.

Frank Leslie Hunn, Driver 614271 R.H.A. died 21st July 1917 aged 18 and his brother Percy Arthur Hunn, private 39236 8th battalion East Surrey Regiment died 25th October 1918.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Many thanks Peter for your private message regarding Reginald Hunn. Not found his Military Medal details yet but found his medal index card today.

post-107183-0-20051200-1446564629_thumb.

Reginald appears on the Roll of Honour for Wortham as one of those from the Parish who served. He's a brother of Frank Leslie and Percy Arthur.

22613679811_9f400112c4_n.jpgRoll of Honour - Parish of Wortham 1914-1918 by Moominpappa06, on Flickr

I don't have an Ancestry \ Find My Past subscription, but if you can search via reference number then should be WO 372/23/123704 in the name of R.Hunn.

Glad I could flesh out the old family tree,

regards,

Peter

Many thanks Peter and Dai.

Free Ancestry sounds good to me.