Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P1907 Bayonet Markings

jimmy9fingers1

Hello Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me identify a P1907 Bayonet

On the tang (there are the initials S and Y not together though (I'm guessing a factory code?)

Also the bayonet will slide onto an smle, but it stops short of the muzzle ring and catch doesn't engage as it is not on far enough (otherwise the catch does work fine) Other British bayonets fit my mates smle easily.

There is a faded crown and G.R underneath, however the makers name is missing sadly.

The manufacture date is either the 3rd or 5th month of 1916 (I'm guessing this would not have been used in combat as it is not regimentally marked)

There is the bend mark on the other side and also I'm guessing proof marks that have a two digit number and the small letter X underneath them (not a large X like the bend mark)

and also there is a two digit number with the letter E underneath, I'm presuming this to mean it was inspected at enfield.

I have tried to upload some pics, but the site will only allow low resolution pictures unfortunately.

If anyone can help me identify this bayonet, i.e possible maker or if its British in origin I would be greatful as I only have a limited knowledge and the x inspection mark and slightly unusual crown through me.

I can email pics

Many thanks Jim

if you would like to email me the pics (chrisjmcdonald atsign comcast dot net) I will resize them for you.

There is some variation in fit but it is unusual (although not unheard of) that a bayonet will not fit a particular rifle.

Regimental markings were uncommon with wartime produced / issued stuff so I don't think your assumption is safe regarding use. All the marks your describe sound like standard inspection stamps etc

Chris

Apologies for the delay, a more than usually hectic day.

Here are the pictures.

This has to be one of the most sloppily marked P1907s I have seen!

post-14525-0-18275700-1403737591_thumb.j post-14525-0-82389300-1403737591_thumb.j

I think the maker is actually there is is just a partial mark of EFD (for Enfield)

I think the date is March 1916 (3 '16)

The X is a bend test (certifying the metal was sufficiently resilient) the broad arrow is an acceptance mark and the others are common inspection marks

The lower right number (on the reverse side) may be a 1925 reissue mark ('25?) but I cannot really make it out.

post-14525-0-16195400-1403737592_thumb.j

post-14525-0-48072900-1403737592_thumb.j

The OA on the scabbard indicates that that component is of later Australian manufacture.

To answer your emailed question: Round studs on the scabbards were introduced as an acceptable manufacturing simplification during WWI.

Chris

This has to be one of the most sloppily marked P1907s I have seen!

The lower right number (on the reverse side) may be a 1925 reissue mark ('25?) but I cannot really make it out.

Agreed, somebody sure made a mess of the stampings on this one.! By that stage I think they were in a hurry to increase throughput ... and quite obviously so.!!

The 'Bayonet Room' was moved from RSAF Enfield to a location in Sheffield sometime during 1915. It is believed to have been linked to Sanderson in some way.

Just FYI, that partial marking seen on the lower right is another Enfield inspection mark. It comprises the Arrow/EFD/number and is only found on Enfield bayonets.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-90008200-1403741509_thumb.j

Thanks for the information Guys, that's great, (I've been wondering what it was for ages).

I will have to get Skennertons bayonet book one day, when I'm feeling affluent.

Cheers

Jim

• 2 weeks later...

SS, not going to comment on your crossguard markings?

As for the S and Y tang markings, anyone have comments on those? I have seen similar things on P 1888's but I can't recall any on any of my P 1907's...

• 2 months later...

'jimmy9fingers1'.... your '07' was manufactured in '5 16' = May 1916, by the firm of Enfield = EFD.

Seph.

SS, not going to comment on your crossguard markings?

As for the S and Y tang markings, anyone have comments on those? I have seen similar things on P 1888's but I can't recall any on any of my P 1907's...

My Remington P1907 has a 'P' stamped on the tang and it was suggested in a previous thread that it was probably just an another inspection mark.

post-59637-0-31720200-1410122800_thumb.j

18th Battalion... I have several Remington 1907's, and none have any stampings around the tang. The marking is certainly a mystery to me, and I've been collecting the '07' for several decades now.

Seph.