Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Radio 3 Starting today, for 2 weeks, GW Music

MartH

Starting 45 minutes ago Radio 3 is devoting itself to the Great War for 2 weeks, Enjoy.

Worth looking at the Radio 3 schedules as the GW is a theme all this week; e.g. 12 noon Tuesday Elgar (composer of the week) features the Zeppelin raids on London.

Tonight's concert features composers William Denis Browne and F S Kelly, along with poet Rupert Brooke, officers and friends together in the RND. There was also a brief interview with Denis Browne's great-nephew this morning, which should be obtainable via iPlayer.

Dr Kate Kennedy on at the moment, very interesting.

That page includes a direct to the interview with Nick Peacy, nephew of Denis Browne, that I mentioned above, http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p021j1n0

How pleasing for you Ian! I will be sure to listen.

I shall be listening when the music stops tonight, as I see there are also programmes on "The 39 Steps and the Great War" and on Rose Macaulay.

And, on Sunday, we get a performance of Browne's 'Mag & Nunc' performed from my transcription.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b047wshv

That's terrific Ian I will definitely be listening. I don't know whether you caught the slow movement of Gurney's String Quartet this morning on 3 Breakfast. Apparently it's from a new recording soon to be released. Just as with the music on the free disc with the BBC Magazine I am amazed at how good it sounded to my (very) untutored ear. Petroc Trelawney said it was written three years into his stay in the asylum. Is there much more of this music to be revealed do you think (know)?

David

Currently on Radio 3 'Free Thinking: The Thirty Nine Steps and WW1' Very interesting if you like Buchan and his works.

David

The 'Mag & Nunc' is enjoyable - rather in the style of Stanford - but I've only heard it in a computer-generated version of the score so I am very much looking forward to a real performance.

I don't know about Gurney - there will be a lot of music and poetry, but editing it will be time-consuming and problematical given the state of his mind. Much decent stuff has been transcribed and performed and it must be tempting for an editor to push things which ought not to see the light of day. The string quartet CD is being produced by EM Records and, having just got a recording of violin concerti by Stanford and Milford, I can vouch for the sound quality.

Ian

I'm really enjoying it, Kate Kennedy explaining the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestras approach to playing French and Russian composers during the war years was most interesting, basically they had to be dead before 1914, and this lasted into the 1920's. I was lucky enough to discuss their playing with my grandfather who saw them in 1917 with Arthur Nikisch, something special he said.

I've a twitter acquaintance with Andrew Grifiths who will be conducting on Sunday, so I'm planning to ask what he makes of the Mag and Nunc

I've a twitter acquaintance with Andrew Grifiths who will be conducting on Sunday, so I'm planning to ask what he makes of the Mag and Nunc

I'd be interested to hear that. I've just replayed them over again and I'm very fond of them. There are what I would regard as a couple of minor 'gaucheries' (for example, what you might call accented passing notes in bar 42 of the Mag) but others might see them as adventurous and characterful. I love his 'Amen' - a good Gloria and Amen count for a lot!

I am well pleased with the broadcast tonight. I thought the organist did very well with what were rather sparse directions. If anyone is interested, it will be on i-Player for a week.

Thanks for alerting us, Ian. I very much enjoyed it and well done you for transcribing Browne's Magnificat and Nunc Dimittis so that they were available for use.

Liz

Very much enjoyed that - thanks Ian and all involved. Caught the first of Donald McLeod's Composer of the week on Ivor Gurney today. Being taught by the organist of Gloucester Cathedral alongside Herbert Howells and Ivor Novello. What a trio!