Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

CWGC response time?

DMcNay

I made a query to the CWGC at the end of April, and I thought there would be a delay, but I thought I might have received a response by now.

Posts to their twitter account as well as a direct message through twitter have not elicited a response from them either.

Does anyone know what the average time for responses to queries is? Is this length of time usual for them?

6 to 8 weeks is not uncommon, in my experience

I've had anywhere between 3 months and a couple of days. However, I am sure that someone posted on another thread that they are no longer dealing with email enquiries as they are digitising their information. This is possibly due to be released in July. It would be good if they put something on their site by way of explanation but there seems to be nothing there.

In relation to my previous, the other thread is here: http://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=210363&hl=

It could explain the reason for delay if their records have gone for digitisation then they won't be able to access them but they could have emailed to let you know there would be a significant delay or something along those lines.

I would recommend that you contact the Commission in writing (by post), not by e-mail or 'phone. Certainly not by that twitterweb nonsense. You should receive either a reply or a postcard acknowledgement of your enquiry within 1 - 3 weeks. If you haven't had an acknowledgment of your enquiry in four weeks re-send the enquiry by post, recorded delivery.

Much depends upon what your enquiry is about. If its complex / requires investigation or contact with overseas offices then a wait of two or three months wouldn't be unusual - the Commission do have limited resources and are under unusual pressure as the centenary approaches.

If you have had an acknowledgment to the enquiry, but not an answer, in say 4 - 5 months, then that is becoming unreasonable and you should jog them along. The Commission have a formal complaints procedure HERE - scroll down to the bottom right.

With regards to digitalisation of records - niggling at the Commission isn't doing anybody any good. It'll happen when it happens, and stirring up excitement about it is probably going to achieve nothing other than to encourage even more enquiries, and hence more delays. (It will be worth the wait).

Tom

I would recommend that you contact the Commission in writing (by post), not by e-mail or 'phone. Certainly not by that twitterweb nonsense. You should receive either a reply or a postcard acknowledgement of your enquiry within 1 - 3 weeks. If you haven't had an acknowledgment of your enquiry in four weeks re-send the enquiry by post, recorded delivery.

Much depends upon what your enquiry is about. If its complex / requires investigation or contact with overseas offices then a wait of two or three months wouldn't be unusual - the Commission do have limited resources and are under unusual pressure as the centenary approaches.

If you have had an acknowledgment to the enquiry, but not an answer, in say 4 - 5 months, then that is becoming unreasonable and you should jog them along. The Commission have a formal complaints procedure HERE - scroll down to the bottom right.

With regards to digitalisation of records - niggling at the Commission isn't doing anybody any good. It'll happen when it happens, and stirring up excitement about it is probably going to achieve nothing other than to encourage even more enquiries, and hence more delays. (It will be worth the wait).

Tom

Thank you Tom - I'm sure it is a case of 'All good things come to those who wait'

By the way, replacing your recognisable avatar with a black square - I hope it isn't reflecting your mood? :)

Thank you Tom - I'm sure it is a case of 'All good things come to those who wait'

As of today I'm advised that response time to routine enquiries is running at about 37 days.

1914 - 2014 ... its going to be a busy year isn't it :whistle:

Tom

As of today I'm advised that response time to routine enquiries is running at about 37 days.

1914 - 2014 ... its going to be a busy year isn't it :whistle:

Tom

and the CWGC is now warning on its website that enquirers should expect delays due to the volumes of requests they're now getting for information Click

NigelS

Thanks for the replies so far. They responded on twitter with an email address, to which I sent my query. So far not even an acknowledgment but I will wait and see.

Posted a query to CWGC in April too, I have just had a reply back yesterday. They apologised for the length of time taken but with the cenetenary they are inundated with requests. There seems to be only a few people working in the enquirys department, understaffed no doubt. A lot of their resources have also been diverted to work on new website features being unveiled next week.