The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Cemetery "Crooswijk", Rotterdam, The Netherlands

Guest AnneM

[This discussion started here

Rotterdam (Crooswijk) General Cemetery. Rotterdam lies 23 kilometres

southeast of the Hague and 52 kilometres southwest of Utrecht. Crooswijk is

a district east of the.centre of the city. The address of the cemetery is

Algemene Begraafplaats, Kirkoflaan 5, Rotterdam.

Historical Notes:- Rotterdam General Cemetery (South Holland) at Crooswijk

belongs to the Town Council. There is one British, 23 French and 14 German

war graves.

Notes: There is 1 Commonwealth burial of the 1914-1918 war and a further 124 Commonwealth burials of the 1939-1945 war, 5 of which are unidentified.

There are 11 Polish burials.

The one I am interested in, is in Crooswijk. It is not for me personally but I promised someone I would get for him.

RND WW1 with Headstone errors of Lt.Cdr. Cuddy, who shot himself in Rotterdam in 1916. Know nothing else about the chap.

The other is in Steenbergen and that is Wing.Cdr. Guy P. Gibson VC DSO DFC's headstone and his memorial in the town. We all know what he did in the ww2.

This will explain how the RND got into Holland and what happened to them http://www.begent.freeserve.co.uk/james.htm

This is some of their graves http://www.war1418.com/timbertown/zuiderbe...aats/index.html

greetings from Hoogwoud

Liam

Hi Liam,

Very interesting: this story about the RND-men being interned in Groningen!

I didn't know there were still so much WW1-graves at "Crooswijk". I mean: in relation with the neutrality of The Netherlands this is quite a number...

I think it'll take some time to find the grave of Lt.Cdr. Cudd ("Crooswijk" isn't the smallest cemetery I know) but I'll definitely give it a try! At the moment a friend of mine lent me her digital camera, so it won't be too much trouble to go overthere and shoot some pictures.. I'll see what I can do next weekend. You'll hear from me again!

Steenbergen is a little bit further away, so I leave that for the moment... ;)

I speak to you soon.

Ciao,

Annemarie

Crooswijk contains a large memorial in the form of a mourning mother & child to German ww1 soldiers (20 I believe). I have missed the single WW1 British grave which might suggest he is not buried in the CWGC plot. If you visit this cemetery also photograph the grave of Miller, J.E. Obs. RAF killed 28-3-1940. He could be one of the earliest British burials in Holland at a time when Holland was not yet in war with Germany. Miller's bomber strayed over Holland after a raid on Germany and was shot down by Dutch fighters protecting neutrality. The crew survived the crash landing but iirc Miller was the only one to bail out which he did too low.

Regards,

Marco

Crooswijk contains a large memorial in the form of a mourning mother & child to German ww1 soldiers

Yes, this memorial I know. I don't know anything about these soldiers's history though.. Do you?

And yes, I'll also photograph the grave of Miller, J.E. Obs. RAF, another victim of Dutch neutrality-policy.

I'll get back to you..

Annemarie

Hello Annemarie,

Unfortunately I have no info on the Germans but one would suspect they are either Internees or something happened during one of the POW exchanges with Britain which took place in Rotterdam. At one of the earlier occasions (wounded!) Germans and British got into a fist-fight when they had to wait in the same building during the exchange!

Regards,

Marco

At one of the earlier occasions (wounded!) Germans and British got into a fist-fight when they had to wait in the same building during the exchange!

That could be a clue.. :)

As far as I can remember these Germans (about 20 men indeed) died on the same day or am I completely mistaken? Perhaps this makes their story easier to trace... I'll take a close look at the grave this weekend and shall perhaps try to search for the story later in some old newspapers when I visit the Rotterdam Archives.

A.

Could the German dead have come from this action.

(borrowed from http://www.bbc.co.uk/history/war/wwone/mirror03_03.shtml )

Daily Mirror Headlines: The Battle of Jutland, Published 3 June 1916

Rotterdam, Friday 1.20pm: The tugboat Schelde is entering the new waterway with dead and wounded from the naval battle. (Reuters)

Amsterdam, Thursday: The tugboat Thames is expected at the Hook of Holland this afternoon with eight German sailors picked up in the North Sea yesterday. Two of them were wounded and one has died from his wounds on the way to port.

The trawler 122 is expected at Ymuiden with 15 German sailors and one wounded English survivor. The rescued Germans include a commander and two lieutenants. (Central News)

Liam

This site contains information on the wargraves in the Cemeteries of "Crooswijk", Rotterdam, | Bergen op Zoom | Arnhem-Oosterbeek | Groesbeek | Uden but nothing on WW1

http://home.tiscali.be/ed.ragas/rohonour/RoHStart.html

Liam

Another possibility might be the remains of German sailors that washed ashore along the Dutch coast. The Royal Navy laid literally thousands of mines off the Belgian coast. When an U-boat hit one of these mines, bodies of crewmembers at times washed ashore well east of the loss site, including in several cases on the Dutch coast.

Best wishes,

Michael

This is the person I am looking for

Name: CUDDY, ERNEST JAMES

Initials: E J

Nationality: United Kingdom

Regiment: Royal Navy

Unit Text: 4th Bn. R.N. Div.

Date of Death: 05/12/1917

Additional information: Son of the late Capt. James Cuddy (R.N.); husband of Muriel Cuddy, of Portland Terrace, Southsea, Hants.

Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead

Grave/Memorial Reference: Plot M. 176.

Cemetery: ROTTERDAM (CROOSWIJK) GENERAL CEMETERY

All the Second World War Commonwealth & UK dead seem to be buried in Plot LL.

Lt. Cmd EJ Cuddy is in Plot M.176

That might make it easier to find.

Liam

Hi Liam,

Two hours ago (four o'clock) I parked my bicycle in front of the closed fence of cemetery "Crooswijk" to shoot some pictures.

The lady of the flower-stall seemed to take pleasure in it to tell me the cemetery closes every day at four...

Grmbl... :angry:

I'm quite disappointed, since I was very curious to find out more about the graves we discussed in this topic...

I won't be able to give it another try until next weekend. As a precaution I'll go in the morning then.

Annemarie

Hi Annemarie,

Pity that you had a wasted trip but it was good weather on Sunday.

If you happen to pass by the german graves will you look at the dates. I am interested if they fell at the Battle of Jutland. I have since discovered more people on the Larne War Memorial were family and that they all died at the Battle of Jutland. My father was born in 1926 but he can tell the tales as if it were yesterday but only if I ask the right questions. He is last of his family and when he goes so do all the information.

Liam