Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Black Watch in Mesopotamia - trying to trace...

Guest Iain Ogilvie

Guest Iain Ogilvie

Trying to Trace my Great Grandfather...

Believe his first name was Charles Ogilvie - killed near Basra in 1915/16 I've been told...

I suspect he was with 2nd Battalion as his father was a comissioner in India, so the following snippet I've found on the web seems to fit and may be relevant...

2nd Battalion

August 1914 : in Bareilly, India. Part of the Bareilly Brigade, Meerut Division, Indian Army. 21 September 1914 : Moved to France, landing at Marseilles on 12 October 1914. 26 September 1915 : amalgamated after heavy casualties with 1/4th Bn, which resumed its former identity in November 1915. December 1915 : Moved to Mesopotamia, landing at Basra on 31 December 1915. Formation was by now renamed 21st Brigade, 7th Indian Division.

Have no idea yet on rank (although my father tells me that family rumour had it he was non-comissioned as his father dis-inherited him when he chose to volunteer in the army), or age - so looking for needles in a hay stack!

Having seen another thread on this forum regarding the regiment in Mesopotamia I thought it worth a shot...

Any assistance appreciated!

Thanks,

Iain

Guest Iain Ogilvie

Hi Neil,

Crumbs - that was quick! :o

Had tried searching there a long time ago and had no luck - I suspect that is my Great Grandfather! :D

Will fire this off to my father to check - if it is it's given me some other names - so thanks very much!

Iain

Hi Iain,

'With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia' mentions that your great grandfather died of wounds on 25 April 1917 at No. 16 Casualty Clearing Station.

Between the 21 - 24 April the second battalion took part in the first battle of Istabulat - described in the history as operations for the consolidation of Baghdad. I guess Ogilvie was wounded sometime during the action.

Hope this helps,

Derek

Guest stevenbec

Mate,

I notice in the news last night that the Black Watch is back in Iraq and being redeployed from the Basra Area.

I wonder if its soldiers are shown the history that they are reliving from the former mates.

S.B

Iain

This fron the National Archives Medal Index Site:

Description Medal card of Ogilvie, Charles E

Royal Highlanders S/16020 Private

Date 1914-1920

Catalogue reference WO 372/15

You can download a copy of the Medal Index card for £3.50

Hope this helps

Dominic

• 2 weeks later...
Guest stevenbec

Mate,

Sad to see in the news today of the loss of three soldiers from the BW.

Is Britian returning her dead to the UK or are they being placed in the local CWGC site?

Lest We Forget

S.B

Mate,

Sad to see in the news today of the loss of three soldiers from the BW.

Is Britian returning her dead to the UK or are they being placed in the local CWGC site?

Lest We Forget

S.B

Steve

According to the 9 am news the three dead members of the Black Watch are being flown home today. They were also named.

If you can access the "Daily Mirror" online you can see photo's of one of the dead men, with his brother and cousin who are also in the Regiment.

Derek

Does 'With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia' give details of Black Watch casualties ?

I am trying to gather any info of the death of a man killed in a rail accident while on leave in India

The man I am seeking details of is

EDWARD ADAM SOUTER

Private

S/19755

2nd Bn., Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)

who died on

Monday, 13th August 1917. Age 21.

I am aware that during summer 1917 2 Batt were stationed at Samarrah, Mesopotamia and that a number of personel were given a months leave in India.

From the Army Death Returns I learned he ( and three of his comrades )

died in a rail accident there.

Any additional details you can provide would be of considerable interest.

• 2 weeks later...

'With a Highland Regiment in Mesopotamia' only includes details of soldiers who died in Mesopotamia from 1 Jan. 1916 to 15 June 1917.

Unfortunately it doesn't mention men who died in India. For example I have a trio to S-8006 Pte. James Pringle who died of wounds - sustained in action in Mesopotamia - in India on 23 May 1916. He, like Souter, is not mentioned in the nominal roll that appears at the end of the book.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

All the best,

Derek