The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Sherwood Foresters 3/5 Battn. and 1/5 Battn. Notts. and Derby Regiment

Angela R.

Hi all,

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I'm trying to find out where my great grand father Private John Ernest Pawley 4295 of the 3/5 Battn. Sherwood Foresters, Notts. and Derby. Regiment died. He was, I think, transferred to 1/5 Battn. on 10.11.15.

He enlisted on the 9/4/1915.

Embarked at Southampton on 10/11/1915.

Disembarked at Rouen on 11/11/1915.

Joined Unit in field on 14/11/15 and was

Killed in Action in the field on 18.4.1916 aged 33 years.

I know he is buried in Ecoivres Military Cemetery, Mont-St. Eloi in Flanders France and have been able to get a photo of his headstone. I have his records from the British Army Service Records but there is nothing about where he was located when he was in France or the circumstances of his death.

I would love to know where he was during his time in France and how he died. I don't know if any of this information is even available but if anyone can help out I'd really appreciate it.

Also, were there any photos taken of his Regiment? I don't have any photos of him at all.

Thanks.

Angela

Welcome to the forum.

The battalion war diary has them in the area of Vimy Ridge. It doesn't specify an exact frontage but refers to 'Albany Trench' which is about 600m south the Vimy Ridge visitors centre.

The war diary states:

'In trenches. No 2619 Sgt H J Spacey D Company received DCM. No 3192 Cpl W H Comery and 2430 Cpl A Hardy Military medal for gallantry in rescuing men gassed in Mine Shaft when mine opposite Albany CT was spring.'

Two men are recorded as wounded - John presumably succumbed to his wounds later that day. No casualties are mentioned in the days before which might otherwise account for his death. He was probably attached to the local tunnelling company doing some of the donkey work associated with military mining but as caught up in the incident above.

I hope this helps; someone may have a picture of the battalion. Scouring local papers might also come up with a photograph.

Kind regards

Colin

Thank you so much for that Colin, really appreciate it.

I hope to travel to his graveside this year and would like to visit the area where he was located prior to his death.

You've been a great help.

Kindest regards.

Angela

Hi all,

I'm new to this so please bear with me.

I'm trying to find out where my great grand father Private John Ernest Pawley 4295 of the 3/5 Battn. Sherwood Foresters, Notts. and Derby. Regiment died. He was, I think, transferred to 1/5 Battn. on 10.11.15.

He enlisted on the 9/4/1915.

I would love to know where he was during his time in France and how he died. I don't know if any of this information is even available but if anyone can help out I'd really appreciate it.

Also, were there any photos taken of his Regiment? I don't have any photos of him at all.

Thanks.

Movements of the 1/5th Sherwood Foresters from the dates above.

Here are the places your Great Grandfather served during his time with the 1/5th Battalion. The Battalion received 88 reinforcements on the 14th November 1915 then in the "Boars Head" trench, when they had 3 killed and three wounded on that day. On the 19th they were in billets Vieille Chapelle, on the 23rd Rue De Bois taking over the trenches from the 1/7th Robin Hood's. On the 28th November they were at Richebourg St Vaast, then from the 4th to the 18th December 1915 were in training at La Motte Baudet, 19th to 25th at Widdebrouck two miles north of Aire. Training again from the 1st -5th January at Molinghem before travelling to Marseilles (supposedly on there way to Egypt) and marching to Santi Carcassone camp, these orders were cancelled and were soon on there way back to the Western Front. February 1916 found them training again at Gorenflos, Bernaville before moving on to Mailly-Maillet and Louvencourt. On 1st March at Gezaincourt and then marched to Berlencourt then in trenches at Mont St Eloy until April.

Hope this helps you in your research. BRONNO.

Thank you so much Bronno. Really appreciate you taking the time to reply.

This is great info and a big help.

Kindest regards.

Angela

• 1 month later...

Hi Bronno,

I was talking to Steve Morse on another thread. He suggested I contact you in the hope you might have a Battalion photo. I can't find anything in the local papers online. I'm in Dublin so am at a bit of a disadvantage as to where to start searching. I have the war diaries and enlistment papers. I've been to visit the grave in France and would love to see any photo that he might be in.

Any advice would be most appreciated.

Many thanks.

Angela.

• 3 months later...

Sorry but I dont have no info on the above soldiers, but have questions on 3 others who served in the 5th. If anyone can help I would be grateful.

My family members are;

My grandfather was Private Stephen Bollington 2396, and later renumbered as 200498. Enlisted 4/sept/1914 and landed in France 3/mar/1915 with 1/5th Notts and Derby. I have no definition of companies or units below that. His Red Cross record shows him captured unwounded at Lens on 1/july/1917, interned first at Douai and then at Dulmen. He lost an eye in captivity labouring in a flint mine (as is the family story) and was awarded a small pension and silver war badge. We have a photo.
My great uncle was Corporal Herbert Bollington, 1/5th Notts and Derby regiment, 3855 and later renumbered 201211. No evidence on his date of joining or even if he served in France though family hearsay is that he did and his medal record exists, but not showing 1914 or 1915 star. Herbert survived the war. we have a photo.
My great uncle was John Edward Bollington, Notts and Derby Regiment, 20627. He might have been promoted Corporal but I am not sure. His medal index shows that he served in the 12th battalion, followed by the 2/5th Battalion, followed by the 12th battalion again. Entered France on 29 August 1915 (When the 12th Pioneer Battalion went out) and has 1915 star. Survived the war and placed on class z on the 25th January 1919.
We have little else although I'm trying to find the descendants of Herbert and John. If anyone can help with any little detail I would be most grateful