Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pray tell me ...

Tom Tulloch-Marshall

Continuing through my age group of men, I have a skewed experience. The dead are easy to find. The survivors are not.

Well yes. But then that's the case anyway not just on LoFWW isn't it? The mere fact that a man died means he probably exists in at least one other good database - CWGC. If he did not die, since it's more than likely his service record did not survive, this sends you back to the MIC as the only even vaguely complete set of records and there are so many cards that unless you have a very unusual surname or know the Regiment number you are going to struggle.

Part of the point of LoFWW is that over time they hope that those people who maybe DO have the elusive surviving family evidence such as letters, postcards, medals, etc WILL put that evidence on the site and link it up with other evidence such as census or birth entries that will then enable those who know the latter but not the former to link their own evidence. It's going to take time!

I think this is a huge problem. My grandfather is a man with a very common name and impossible to pick him out from the medal index cards - I know quite a lot about him but he has no surviving service record. I suspect that relatively few survivors with common names will ever be correctly identified - the John Smiths, William Davies, Browns, Greens etc. And despite claims about accuracy, surely open to anyone just choosing a man of that name and adding 'evidence' to a record that's not actually his.

Sue

I think this is a huge problem. My grandfather is a man with a very common name and impossible to pick him out from the medal index cards - I know quite a lot about him but he has no surviving service record. I suspect that relatively few survivors with common names will ever be correctly identified - the John Smiths, William Davies, Browns, Greens etc. And despite claims about accuracy, surely open to anyone just choosing a man of that name and adding 'evidence' to a record that's not actually his.

Sue

Sue you may well be right about the common names, but if it was not for a Project like this there would be no hope at all. My Great Uncle also had a common name - Miller - but I have his medals and all the letters and postcards he wrote so I can identify him and link him up to other records. Maybe one of the other (many!) great nieces and nephews will come along and find him and add their bit becasue I did that. I hope so anyway.

Hi Folks on the new Grave Registration forms on the CWGC it staes on the form date of death 23/9/1916, but on the main part it states Robert Baird KOSB killed 3/9/1916.Am i right in thinking the 23/9/1916 must be the date he was buried although it says date of death.?

Mary.