Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Royal Naval service medal entitlement

tootrock

What medals would a naval rating have been awarded for wartime service. Presumably the British War Medal and the Victory Medal, but were there any others? Were there equivalents to the army's 1914 Star and 1914-1915 Star?

What would a man killed on the Aboukir have been awarded?

Martin

How army-centric can this forum get? The 1914 Star and the 1914-15 were certainly not "the army's" medals.

ABOUKIR = WW1 14-15 trio, as for all embarked service in 1914-15.

And, lest we forget, 12,000+ naval personnel qualified for the 1914 Star (many for the Clasp also), the so-called 'Mons Star'.

If I remember rightly (books not to hand). RN personnel serving at sea in 1914 received the 1914-15 Star. Those who received the 1914 Star must have been the RND and anyone else actually serving ashore in Belgium and France.

Thanks for that.

I have now had a look at part of ADM 171/99 regarding a man I am researching,

In the column "Medals etc. earned" it has "St., B, V," presumably standing for Star, British War Medal , and Victory Medal.

In the next column, headed "How issued or disposed of" it has "Ww". Most of the other entries on the page have "S".

The final "Remarks" column has "I.C.1260/1915". This type of entry only seems to appear if there is a "Ww" in the "Issued" column.

Can anyone shed any light on what this means?

Martin

Ww = medals claimed by and issued to his widow. (S = medals claimed by and issued to Self.)

The IC reference is to the Admiralty Index Casualty and applies to all who died. And, no, the Index does not survive.