Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

87th Bde RFA, 24 September 1917

HelsingtonTen

Dear all

Scrounging for information again, I'm afraid!

I'm researching 2nd Lt Henry Hugh Franklyn Clarke (HHF Clarke), who died 24 Sep 1917 (KIA), and is now buried in Noeux-Les-Mines Communal Cemetery Extension. He was previously a sergeant (No 95071.)

I was just wondering if anyone has access to the 87th Bde diary and, if so (and you're willing to look), whether it has any information on him, any Bde activity on or around that date, location at the time, etc. I know it was over the period of 3rd Ypres, but that's about it!

Anything anyone can tell me would be very gratefully received.

After he was commissioned, Temp. 2nd Lieut. served with 87th Battery, 2nd Brigade, RFA and was killed in action on 24 Sept 1917 'at his detached section position near the Quarry of Loos.'

Sources: War Diary of 2nd Brigade, RFA; War Diary of Commander, Royal Artillery, 6th Division.

After he was commissioned, Temp. 2nd Lieut. served with 87th Battery, 2nd Brigade, RFA and was killed in action on 24 Sept 1917 'at his detached section position near the Quarry of Loos.'

Sources: War Diary of 2nd Brigade, RFA; War Diary of Commander, Royal Artillery, 6th Division.

That's interesting, thank you. It seems starnge as all the records show him 87th Brigade RFA -CWGC, medal card, the lot! Or, am I missing something? :unsure:

He was definitely killed while serving with 87th Battery, 2nd Brigade, RFA - see below the 2nd Brigade, RFA War Diary for 24 Sept 1917.

post-765-0-98909100-1403238473_thumb.jpg

And from the Sept 1917 roll of officers in 2nd Brigade, RFA (from the War Diary of the CRA, 6th Division):

post-765-0-73246200-1403238836_thumb.jpg

• 1 year later...

Hi,

The guys above are absolutely right, your relative was in 87th Battery RFA, not the 87th Bde RFA which is an entirely different thing. The unit still exists but was renumbered 97th Battery RA after WW2, it is currently in 4th Regiment RA based in Topcliffe, North Yorkshire. I used to serve in the Battery and can send you an electronic copy of their Battery History Book which the officers of the Battery have maintained since the 1800s.

Regards

Chris