Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Unusual Markings on Patt.1888 Bayonet

calibre792x57.y

Thanks Trajan,

You may have missed my edited post #24 reference unit marking, I would be interested in your opinion, I will try to get a photo of it.

khaki

The second strike has the start of a foot on it = L = South Lancashire ?

I have always wanted to do a book, but the resources here for British Inspectors marks would be limited.

post-29707-0-52311700-1406310165_thumb.j

That's certainly a regimental mark. And 'S.L.' certainly seems right for The Prince of Wales's Volunteers (South Lancashire Regiment)! But why no Battalion number? I have to confess though that I have never really looked at British regimental markings and cannot even understand my one P1903 with such markings! GRD? (I now suspect it might be 'Gloucestershire Regiment Depot', but who knows!)

As for inspector's markings for Wilkinson and Enfield on P. 1888's (and P.1903's), well, it would be a challenge to start collating them - but a few have been posted on GWF! I am trying to do the same with German Ersatz bayonet fraktur markings: a pattern might emerge, even though I doubt that I'll be able to get anywhere with it other than establish that certain markings are associated with certain types only!

cannot even understand my one P1903 with such markings! GRD? (I now suspect it might be 'Gloucestershire Regiment Depot', but who knows!)

Possibly Gawhal Rifles or Gurkha Rifles, (India) Depot.

Thanks for your thoughts on my p1888

khaki

Hi Trajan,

Re your GRD mark, that wasn't 5RD then for 5th Regimental District?

Cheers,

Tony

Does the Wilkinson address on P88's come in different styles? It appears to me that it may say WILKINSON. LOND, is that the standard address/makers mark?

FYI, the maker's marking for Wilkinson on the P1888 bayonets is as found on this example shown below. This is the only style they used on the P1888's.

Cheers, S>S

post-52604-0-29683800-1406330916_thumb.j

Thanks S>S

It's a pretty crowded ricasso as you can see, but it looks like I misread it and it does say London, just wish I could see the original dates above it. I will keep looking, it may appear out of the mist, so to speak. Quick question though, is the way the date appears close above the address, pretty standard on Wilkinson 88' blades?

khaki

Hi Trajan,

Re your GRD mark, that wasn't 5RD then for 5th Regimental District?

Hi Tony,

Sorry not to have responded to that earlier post... I checked and pretty certainly it's a G... Also I think the lettering is a tad small for a RD marking...

Possibly Gawhal Rifles or Gurkha Rifles, (India) Depot.

Khaki, Yes, I wondered about those as possibilities also...

...Quick question though, is the way the date appears close above the address, pretty standard on Wilkinson 88' blades?

The issue dates are certainly pretty close to the trademark on my examples, but in neither case are they as deeply impressed as with the example SS shows. Also, with both of mine the 'WILKINSON LONDON' is right next to the crossguard, as with yours Khaki, and no so distant as with the SS example. I'm working on my Ersatz collection at the moment, but when I get a chance I'll tidy up my P.1888's and photograph those.

Trajan

As for Inspector's marks and their dates and identities - what do you fancy doing in your retirement??? :whistle: TOTALLY unexplored field there waiting for somebody to take it on! :thumbsup:

You are right, the only publication that touches on it is the publication 'Bayonet Markings. An identification of all British, Commonwealth, European & German WW1 and WW2 unit markings'. And that certainly doesn't reach anywhere near the expectation given by the title.

IIRC, somebody, possibly on GWF, was collecting Inspector's marks for P.1917 bayonets, but that is the only case that I know of.

I am only just starting to look at the fraktur marks on my German bayonets which also have their own tale to tell - I hope!