Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Washington DC USA WWI Service Medal

Cpl Coleman

post-111052-0-89113700-1403147747_thumb.

Here is a wonderful photo of an unknown District of Columbia National Guard captain of the first Separate Battalion (Colored) which became part of the First Battalion of the US 372nd Infantry Regiment. Arriving in France in April, 1918 the 372nd Infantry was soon removed from American command and assigned to the French Army, where they fought with great distinction as part of the 157th Division of Infantry, the famed Red Hand Division. The photo was taken by Scurlock Studios here in DC circa 1919-1920. He's wearing the City of Washington, District of Columbia Medal issued to their returning World War I veterans. It's a figured cross about 2" inches tall and 1 1/2 " wide with a green and white ribbon. Many US states, cities and organizations struck their own medals to award their returning veterans. To the right he's wearing a small Croix de Guerre ...

Hello Welcome to the forum!

That is indeed a wonderful photograph. I often see the city/county veterans medals and have frequently toyed with starting a collection of them!

I think what you have identified as a "small Croix de Guerre" might not be. The Croix de Guerre has crossed swords "behind" the cross as part of the design and I can see no evidence of those. I think what he might be wearing is a pistol or rifle "Sharpshooter" or "Marksman" qualification badge. These typically follow this design of a small plaque/bar with a maltese style cross hung under it (there are a couple of examples illustrated amongst the medals shown here)

Great photo...given the unit is known have you tried the DC guard archives to see if he can be identified?

Chris

Thanks for the welcome and comments on the photo, Chris. I think you're right about the small maltese cross style medal being something other than a Croix de Guerre. The 372nd received a unit CdG and palm in December 1918 and 19 enlisted men of the original DCNG 1st Separate Battalion received the individual CdGs. Here's a close up of the DC WWI medal. The DCNG opened a museum last year. I'll contact them and see if the captain can be identified from their records.

Paul

post-111052-0-59006400-1403184378_thumb.