Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

kew officers files wanted

madgarry

Guys if anyones visiting the national archives ide appreciate the officers files of the following 3 brothers and their cousin all killed in the war.

Joseph Theodore Gedge paymaster Royal navy
Basil Johnson Gedge Army chaplains department

Peter Gedge Lieutenant 7th service battalion machine gun section The Suffolk regiment

Cecil Bertie Gedge 2nd Lieutenant 3rd Battalion City of London Regiment (Royal Fusiliers) killed in action 25th Sept 1915

Service files:

BJG -WO339/108525

PG - WO339/11592

CBG - WO374/26773

might persuade someone to look. Not me though,I've just been !

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Garry,

Can't help with the NA I'm afraid, but Peter Gedge receives a couple of mentions in "The History of the Suffolk Regiment - 1914-1927" by Lt. Col. C.C.R. Murphy.

He is listed as one of the original 7th Battalion officers (MG section, as you say) that landed in Boulogne at the end of May 1915.

I'm sure you're aware he was killed in action on the 13th October 1915 in the attack on the Quarries during the Battle of Loos (he was one of eight officers of the battalion killed this day, with three others wounded; and 150 other ranks killed or wounded); this is verbatim from the regimental history:

"Simultaneously an assault was made on the Hairpin trenches [the objectives of 7th Battalion during the attack]. 'A' Company, under Captain C. A. Cobbold, headed by a bombing party from the 7th Suffolk and 7th Norfolk Regiments, attacked up the left arm, and 'D' Company, under Captain Henty, the right arm. Violent opposition was encountered, Captain Cobbold being killed and 2nd Lieut. D. C. Smith mortally wounded, almost at the outset. The machine-guns were ordered to follow 'A' Company, the command of which had now devolved on Captain Chitty Thomas, and while getting them into position Lieut. P. Gedge was killed."

Not a lot, I know, but hopefully of some interest!

All the best

Steve

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Gary

I'll see what time I have next week. 3 Army and 1 Navy.

Four sets of papers en route sometime this evening.

Four sets of papers en route sometime this evening.

Your a star mate, many many thanks. I hope it didnt take up to much of your research time

All part of the enjoyment of the day !

They have bacon sandwiches,dozens of PCs and lots of bits of paper,and people who chat ! You should go,even if you don't like the things I highlight !

mini hijack of thread - but thanks to Sotomate for getting me papers I DIDNT even ask for - a pint in skindles is waiting

he's a good lad, that Sotonmate...

Bernard