Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

P.1888 volunteer version - makers thereof?

trajan

Looking into finding out more about a commercially made volunteer P.1888 Mk.II, owned by a good mate of mine, with the maker's mark WF on the ricasso... Skennerton and Richardson have nowt - anybody out there who has any ideas about these commercial maker markings? Preferably with a reliable source I can quote, i.e., not the opinion of some mate camping by a billabong with a tinny and a tasty on the barbie! But when all is said and done, all opinions and comments are welcome!

TIA!

Trajan

EDIT: Struck out some rather ill-mannered comments

Move on Mate! It is getting a bit boring with all the jibes in just about every post you make!

We are all here out if interest and passion for all aspects of WW1.

Cheers

John

Strawb67, you are quite right mate, and as the message has hit, then so I will desist. However, please take to heart that my primary aim is to get information on this topic from people who really know their sources and who - more importantly - are also happy to share their sources with the wider community!

I don't yet have the full details of the P.1888 I am concerned with here but it does seem to me to be a volunteer / commercial job, as it has no clearance hole behind the upper rivet, and also has that mark 'WF' on one ricasso (I am not certain yet if there is a mark on the other). IIRC, Weysersburg did supply some volunteer units with bayonets in the 1850's or thereabouts, and so I am wondering if WF might be 'W[eyersburg] F[abrik]'? IIRC, some late 19th century UK bayonets were German-made, and so it not impossible...

I should perhaps add that given that some volunteer units became territorials and were later sent out to war in 1914, and that it is not unknown for some of those units to still have P.1888 bayonets when at the front, I see this bayonet as a valid topic for discussion on GWF! Indeed, Carl lists some regimentally-marked volunteer / commercial P.1888's which strongly suggests that some of these volunteer / commercial ones did go on into service in WWI - see: http://www.old-smithy.info/bayonets/HTNL%20DOCUMNETS/1888%20and%201903.htm

Trajan

Hi Trajan

This is one area I know little about, despite collecting regimentally marked P88s, so Id be very interested to hear if there is any further information out there.

cheers, J

• 9 months later...

Just got onto the Volunteer issued section in that Rose P.1888 book, and may have to go a bit further (or back?) but haven't got a 'WF' yet - so have I missed something or any updates from outside?

Looking into finding out more about a commercially made volunteer P.1888 Mk.II, owned by a good mate of mine, with the maker's mark WF on the ricasso...

Trajan,

Wilkinson made most of the Volunteer pattern 1888 Sword Bayonets, and also W. Greener.

Regards,

LF

Thanks LF - this is one of sawdoc's, I think...