Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Vosges Mountains 1918

cwbuff

I'm trying to find out what Bavarian units were engaged in trench warfare in the Voges Mountains in 1918. I'm trying to find out what possible units an ancestor was in during that period. All I know from Bavarian military records (from Ancestry.com) is that he was Bavarian and was egged in trench warfare in Lorrain in 1917 and in Lorrain and the Voges Mountains in 1918. Other that endless searching on the internet, is there a good source to find this information out?

Forum member Egbert is a true Vosges-expert: he may be able to help you out.

Roel

Forum member Egbert is a true Vosges-expert: he may be able to help you out.

Roel

Sorry, but this is beyond my capabilities and it won't help him at all. Some excerpts here from HWK and vicinity:

Bayr. Ersatz Infanterie Regiment 1 39. Reserve Division

Bayr. Landsturm Feld Artillerie Abteilung 1 6. Bayrische Landsturm Division

Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrische Reserve Infanterie Regiment 22 8. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrische Reserve Infanterie Regiment 23 8. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 2 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 1 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 10 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 11 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 12 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 3 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 4 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Brigade Ersatz Bataillon 9 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Ersatz Feld Artillerie Regiment Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Ersatz Infanterie Regiment 5 39 Reserve Division

Bayrisches Feld Artillerie Ersatz Abteilung 1 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Feld Artillerie Ersatz Abteilung 4 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Feld Artillerie Regiment 9 2. Bayrische Infanterie Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 10 1. Bayrische Landwehr Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 12 2. bayrische gemischte Landwehr Brigade

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 12 6. Bayrische Landwehr Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 15 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 3

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 7 1. Bayrische Landwehr Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 7 2. Landwehr Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterie Regiment 8 1. Bayrische Landwehr Division

Bayrisches Landwehr Infanterieregiment 1

Bayrisches Reserve Einsatz Regiment 3

Bayrisches Reserve Feld Artillerie Regiment 11 9. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrisches Reserve Feld Artillerie Regiment 8 8. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrisches Reserve Feld Artillerie Regiment 8 8. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrisches Reserve Infanterie Regiment 18 8. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrisches Reserve Infanterie Regiment 18 Bayrische Ersatz Division

Bayrisches Reserve Infanterie Regiment 19 8. Bayrische Reserve Division

Bayrisches Reserve Infanterieregiment 4

6. Bayrische Landwehr Division

4. Bayrische s Ersatz Infanterie Regiment 30. Reserve Division

1. Bayrische Landwehr Division

1. Bayrische Landwehr Division

2. Bayrische gemischte Landwehr Brigade

10. Bayrisch. Res. Inftr. Brig. 6. Div. 3.Komp

Thank you for the reply. But I was able to make some progress after a doing a lot of - mostly futile - reading and searching. I am looking for information on the Bavarian Army Fernsprech Abteilung 21. I assumed that it was subordinate to a Bavarian division. I could not find much on-line about the Bavarian divisions so posted this question. So I took my copy of Histories of 25 Divisions of the German Army 1914-1918 and read about each Bavarian division. I looked at the order of battle of each for 1917 and 1918 and could not find Fernsprech Abteilung 21. Then I tried by process of elimination to find the divisions that were in Lorraine in 1917 and Lorrain and the Vosges in 1918 (I know this from references in his Bavariain military records listing trench warfare in these locations and dates). That helped but still too many divisions (also evidenced by the response above).

So then I tried searching in German using every variation of Fernsprech Abteilung 21 I could think of. That worked by turning up one German web site. It turns out that Fernsprech Abteilung 21 was subordinate to the XXI Army Corps. It was a Corps asset, not a division asset. It is clear now that the enumeration of "21" is the same as the Army Corps to which it was attached.

I learned something. I wish I had this information a month ago - I just got back a week ago from 15 days of exploring battlefields on the Western Front - including 6 days in Lorraine.

Yes. That is how I discovered that the Fernsprech Abteilung 21 was subordinate to the XXI Army Corps and not attached to a division. I'm afraid that is where the story ends for now. There does not seem to be much information on that unit.

In the Bayerische Hauptstaatsarchiv in Munich, department Kriegsarchiv, there is the following record:

Infanterie-Fernsprech-Abteilungen Bund II

Laufzeit: 15. März 1914 - 1918

Signatur: BayHStA, MKr 1195

Altsignatur: III a VI 5

"Bund II" means Volume 2.

You could contact the Bayerische Kriegsarchiv ( poststelle@bayhsta.bayern.de ) and ask them if they have records of the Fernsprech Abteilung 21.

• 2 months later...

Thank you for the reply. But I was able to make some progress after a doing a lot of - mostly futile - reading and searching. I am looking for information on the Bavarian Army Fernsprech Abteilung 21. I assumed that it was subordinate to a Bavarian division. I could not find much on-line about the Bavarian divisions so posted this question. So I took my copy of Histories of 25 Divisions of the German Army 1914-1918 and read about each Bavarian division. I looked at the order of battle of each for 1917 and 1918 and could not find Fernsprech Abteilung 21. Then I tried by process of elimination to find the divisions that were in Lorraine in 1917 and Lorrain and the Vosges in 1918 (I know this from references in his Bavariain military records listing trench warfare in these locations and dates). That helped but still too many divisions (also evidenced by the response above).

So then I tried searching in German using every variation of Fernsprech Abteilung 21 I could think of. That worked by turning up one German web site. It turns out that Fernsprech Abteilung 21 was subordinate to the XXI Army Corps. It was a Corps asset, not a division asset. It is clear now that the enumeration of "21" is the same as the Army Corps to which it was attached.

I learned something. I wish I had this information a month ago - I just got back a week ago from 15 days of exploring battlefields on the Western Front - including 6 days in Lorraine.

cwbuff,

I finnaly received an answer from the Bayerisches Kriegsarchiv: They do have the war diary of the Armee-Fernsprechabteilung 21 (27 volumes alltogether). You can have a look at them in Munich.

Regards,

Karsten

• 2 weeks later...

cwbuff,

I finnaly received an answer from the Bayerisches Kriegsarchiv: They do have the war diary of the Armee-Fernsprechabteilung 21 (27 volumes alltogether). You can have a look at them in Munich.

Regards,

Karsten

Thank you for that information. Do you know if they allow photocopying these records so I could take a copy home?