Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Pipers in the Trenches BBC2 Scotland

wandsworth

Here's my stab at Simon's extract from the Westfalia book of Honour p.158

Thanks for that. Appreciated.

The following is an excerpt from the diary of a German soldier in WWI, on display at Stirling Castle next to William Lawrie's bagpipes:

My heart is racing as I peer over the top. I see a piper climb out of his trench and start to pipe his war music. His music is a thing of beauty in such a place of tragedy and death, that acts like a psychological torture for us, since it signals an impending charge, death, blood and carnage. It seems rather odd for a man in a kilt to play his bagpipes so casually as if he was in his homeland.

We do not know much about these wild men from another land, but we do know that they are the most fierce, courageous group of men that we will ever encounter. They are good down to earth men, who we respect. I feel bad at what I must do next.

I pick up a rifle and as I pull the trigger I whisper to the piper who cannot hear me "sorry brother." I hear the pipes fall silent like a wounded animal as the piper falls backwards, tears fill my eyes as the pipes become silent. I feel as if I destroyed the only thing of beauty at the front and I feel that his family will no longer hear his music. I want to cover myself up with mud and hide myself from judgment. I see them advancing and I forget about my moment of weakness and continue with my job...

Lt. Karl Emil Schaefer, German Army, c1914-1918

The following is an excerpt from the diary of a German soldier in WWI, on display at Stirling Castle next to William Lawrie's bagpipes:

Lt. Karl Emil Schaefer, German Army, c1914-1918

He could have shot somebody else then. Maybe somebody packing a rifle ?

Sounds like drivel to me.

Indeed, his rather poetic thoughts do seem somewhat contradictory to his actions.

Found it on You Tube.

Indeed, his rather poetic thoughts do seem somewhat contradictory to his actions.

That's what I should have said.

Why am I so crude ?

brilliant doc,tears in the eyes as usual

many thanks coming from someone who doesnt generally like bagpipes

however,ive kind of changed my tune on that one now !!!!

That's what I should have said.

Why am I so crude ?

Harsh but fair I`d call it.

When I posted, I resisted the urge to comment, as I wanted to see how others reacted first. I have to say that your reading of it mirrored my own, and I would add that if I had said what I felt, then by comparison your comment would have appeared quite flowery. :thumbsup: