Free downloads from TNA ×
The Great War (1914-1918) Forum

Remembered Today:

Hooge Crater

r30rvp

Hello

I have just been informed that Hooge crater is closed during August, Does anybody know if its the museum or the crater??

Many thanks

Rachel

I think the Museum closes for a week in August. I remember going up there last year and I managed to pick that week!

that's ok, a few people have mentioned the open air museum around the crater and was worried I wouldn't have time to see everything

:thumbsup:

I may well be wrong, but I wasn't aware that there was a crater still there?

The cemetery is called Hooge Crater and the museum and cafe across the road are excellent, but the museum is not open air.

Am I missing something?

BillyH.

that's ok, a few people have mentioned the open air museum around the crater and was worried I wouldn't have time to see everything

Are you sure you don't mean the cratered area next to Hotel Kasteelhof 'T Hooghe? If you are thinking of that museum, you can just walk in any time - there's a donation box by the entrance but it's not a proper museum.

Yes thats the place,

Sorry getting very excited and trying to see as much as i can in the few days i have over there (have to many bits of paper with places on!!!!)

cheers

railway wood just back from hooge heading for ypres op bircross roads,memorial- flooded crater great view of ypres-sanctuary wood hill 62.

Biff :thumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...

If you follow the footpath from next the actual museum at Hooge you walk around the wood on Bellewarde Ridge on the way to RE Grave and then Railway Wood. There are numerous water filled craters in the wood easily seen from the footpath (the wood is private so careful if you nip too far inside it). There craters are marked on Google Maps. Beyond RE Grave (memorial to lost Tunnellers) is Railway Wood with an easily seen crater at the east end.

Bernard

Hi Rachel

As others have mentioned, the crater at Hooge (actually two or more adjacent craters, and there has been some debate about how much of this is the original 1915 crater) is in the grounds of the hotel next to the museum - you just put a euro into the honesty box and walk in, so it won't be closed. Photo below shows it a week ago when I was there.

William

post-49411-0-57310300-1403818469_thumb.j

And here is one of the water-filled craters in the wood that Bernard mentioned.

William

post-49411-0-66863000-1403819417_thumb.j

WOW

thank you at least I now know what to look out for.

best make sure I have plenty of euros in my pocket

Hi Rachel

As others have mentioned, the crater at Hooge (actually two or more adjacent craters, and there has been some debate about how much of this is the original 1915 crater) is in the grounds of the hotel next to the museum - you just put a euro into the honesty box and walk in, so it won't be closed. Photo below shows it a week ago when I was there.

William

William, the actual position of the Hooge Crater 1915, I believe the craters you show are early 1916 mining craters from January and April 1916, but happy to be corrected. Given the attack and the direction of the 14th Divisions counter attack it could not be the craters in the old Chateau grounds which was rebuilt on approximately the site of the old stables.

Andy

post-1871-0-41223800-1404057285_thumb.jp

• 3 weeks later...

Andy,

Interesting you have the crater partially over the Museum and cafe. I have it about an 2" up on your map, and to the right of the road. Basically just out of the top of your picture. I have tried to get some info about exact location due to my interest in Cecil Rawling who was killed here in 1917. If you stand in the grounds of the German craters near the road shown above your crater position then there appears to be a area of ground that slopes away as if previously a crater. As i say however I have not got any confirmation of this. What is certain is the craters wrongly indicated in a battleground book and those open to view, whist interesting, I believe to be part of the smaller craters, blown later in the war, as you also state.

Has your positioning come from the war diaries of 14th division? Strange to think I have stood where the crater was after wanting to do so, without actually knowing it!!

Rgds

Andy

Hi,

the crater was indeed to the right of the small road

regards,

Cnock

From the information obtained locally the small road is not in it's original place.

Andy

Hooge Crater cemetery today

regards,

Cnock

post-7723-0-37813000-1405623012_thumb.jp

another crater seen today

Cnock

post-7723-0-57391400-1405623199_thumb.jp

the present Hooge Crater that is not the 1915 Crater

Cnock

post-7723-0-56269800-1405623563_thumb.jp

From the information obtained locally the small road is not in it's original place.

Andy

Correct.

Below is the location of the wartime road superimposed on a modern NGI map...

Dave

post-357-0-79773700-1405635285_thumb.jpg

Approximate location of the wartime road and crater position in accordance with British (1917) 1:10,000 scale and German (1916) 1:5,000 and 1:10,000 scale trench mapping. (This is a conglomeration of both sources... the British show it slightly further to the left, the Germans show it encroaching more to the right of the (modern) road... it also differs in size dependant on the map used.

Dave

post-357-0-02117700-1405635821_thumb.jpg

Hi Dave,

Thanks, only place it could be if your read the direction and positions of the 8th RB and 7th RB counter attacks later in the day, 14th Div material carefully and personal accounts, I have been arguing the position for years but need it as accurately as possible for future plans that are coming together. Thats the information I got from Ypres archives in that the road moved about 250 yards from its pre war position. Just need to pin point the machine gun position now which the Germans in their accounts say was very skilfully used!!!

Andy

Thanks for the heads up on this; typically it's closed the week I'm going! (12th-19th August). Will definitely check out the crater itself though, I didn't know there was one still there.